Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Convert abandonded railways into cycleways

Default Convert abandonded railways into cycleways

Last edited by imported_Déise; 8th August 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a great idea of course, and we don't have to look far to see how it's done. Sustrans have done fantastic work in Britain.
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a great idea. But my cynical self asks if it is fraught with the usual stuff surrounding any infrastructural project? Planning permission... objections from locals.... tendering process.... cost overruns....late delivery.... 5 years later, not one km of track converted. I hope I am wrong and someone takes the initiative. I would really love to see this in operation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Great idea.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Déise View Post
    In Ireland we have quite a network of abandoned railways.

If we were to convert these into cycle paths we would have quite an asset to sell to tourists. If we add to this putting cycle paths by our waterways (which are already being used for tourism) then this time next year Rodney we'll be millionaires!!!

Of course Belgium is ahead of us.
    Cycling Belgium's Waterways
    that is a fantastic suggestion

where would one start with such an idea which government department would it come under now

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

would it not be a better idea to return them to thir original use , railways .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is an absolutely fantastic idea.

I have been lamenting the lack of cycleways for years. I used to cycle loads in Germany and I'd say you could go from the north sea to the Alps without ever going on the same road as a car. It's a great passtime and I've always felt sorry for the poor sods who I see on bike holidays in IReland.
    One cannot say "Here are our monsters", without immediately turning the monsters into pets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Raised railway in New York turned into park:

The High Line

-- nice website too, a drupal site I believe.

Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by merle haggard View Post
    would it not be a better idea to return them to thir original use , railways .
    Yes this would indeed be the best solution. However we must also look at the advantage of the first poster's suggestion. This advantage would keep these strips of land, formerly used by the railways as public rights of way. Therefore it would not become possible for them to be bought up- therefore keeping the land open for all future railways, and their construction. But yes I am in agreement with you, railways should be the top priority on these strips of land- however converting these areas to cycling tracks has the advantage of keeping these rights of way intact, therefore open for all future railway development.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good idea but a little late. E.g in the West of Ireland the Galway-Clifden and Westport-Achill lines ceased by approx 1939 and were sold off. Much of them have been incorporate into adjoining privately owned land or built over. There are some stretches left, and some of the bridges still intact, but a lot of negotiation would have to be done even to open a pathway across areas that are now privately owned land.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast