Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Typing - a new education policy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Typing - a new education policy

Typing... lights went off on me recently when using my PC... & it struck me that I am far from a touch typer. Many of my friends are like me: that they'll type something short into Google rather than type a full URL. Whenever possible I copy & paste...

So I'm a hopeless typer & it is the type of thing that I really don't want to learn now. And ?...

Why isn't typing a mandatory item in schools, say like literacy & arithmetic ? It would be far easier to learn at age 4. Fast touch typing needs to be taught properly (actually they should teach Dvorak but whatnot).

This item to me is a no-brainer & a win-win... why not a party stick it into their manifesto ? A guarantee that by age 8 years old ,95% of children could type at x WPM ?

Or do our party's all love vague , high level, difficult to measure on ,hand waving policies ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Typing - a new education policy

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan
    Typing... lights went off on me recently when using my PC... & it struck me that I am far from a touch typer. Many of my friends are like me: that they'll type something short into Google rather than type a full URL. Whenever possible I copy & paste...

So I'm a hopeless typer & it is the type of thing that I really don't want to learn now. And ?...

Why isn't typing a mandatory item in schools, say like literacy & arithmetic ? It would be far easier to learn at age 4. Fast touch typing needs to be taught properly (actually they should teach Dvorak but whatnot).

This item to me is a no-brainer & a win-win... why not a party stick it into their manifesto ? A guarantee that by age 8 years old ,95% of children could type at x WPM ?

Or do our party's all love vague , high level, difficult to measure on ,hand waving policies ?

cYp
    Thats a good idea ... may I steal it ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel

cYp
    Consider it yours, get it published first & then watch others "Lift" it

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its not how fast you type, but what you type surely?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

learning to type has just got to be a much waste of time as learning shorthand is.
    Improving OCR, voice recognition software and better user interfaces will render it as archaic as DOS commands

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb
    learning to type has just got to be a much waste of time as learning shorthand is.
    Improving OCR, voice recognition software and better user interfaces will render it as archaic as DOS commands
    The only problem is how can we develop voice recognition software that will understand the Cork accent?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponzi
    The only problem is how can we develop voice recognition software that will understand the Cork accent?
    Elocution

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel

cYp
    SF promise a typewriter for every school

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those of us who still can use DOS commands (GUI shell ****************************** offfffff) can do it in half the time! Remember DDT (not the poison!)??? For the novices here DDT was the original Dynamic Debugging Tool. It came with the OS. It was called User Testing.

Batch files FOREVER!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking

Those of us who still can use DOS commands (GUI shell ****************************** offfffff) can do it in half the time! Remember DDT (not the poison!)??? For the novices here DDT was the original Dynamic Debugging Tool. It came with the OS. It was called User Testing.

Batch files FOREVER!!!
    Nerd reminiscences. How horrific!

Nice idea on the typing in schools, cyberianpan. A much better idea than peeing away tens of millions of euro in teaching kids how to mow each other down in cars.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast