Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: End unemployment; share the workload.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default End unemployment; share the workload.

For an ever increasing number of people the present system is failing them utterly. The prospect of ending up permanently on the jobless scrapheap looms ever larger with the relentless advance in technology, a situation exasperated at the present time by a global recession.

Fortunately, we’re blessed with an excellent welfare state system, but alas, due to the now inordinate number of claimants, it’s buckling under the strain. A good welfare system is both desirable and necessary, but only for a period of time to allow one to get back on one’s feet as it were. It’s not a permanent solution and continuous dependency is both demeaning to the claimant as well as burdensome to the taxpayer.

But with no end in sight to this downturn and no job prospects on the horizon, is there not a way out of the present impasse? Are we going to allow a situation where there are 500,000 permanently without hope, and merely consign them to a new underclass?

If we wish to avoid the dire aforementioned scenario, and instead foster and maintain a more equable society whereby everybody has a purpose and a sense of dignity would not sharing the actual workload be the way forward?

Inevitability it may impact on our standard of living as everybody will be on a shorter working week, but for the greater good of society I’m sure we can adjust.

On the upside however, it may allow us more leisure time to pursue other activities that may enhance the quality of life generally.
    Last edited by Lord Deputy of Listowel; 5th July 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Certainly is an interesting idea.The lack of government action on this massive problem is frightening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This the lump of labour fallacy again. Also, while sharing the work programs aim to spread employment, all they really do is spread the unemployment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh dear God...
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Digout View Post
    Certainly is an interesting idea.The lack of government action on this massive problem is frightening.
    I concur absolutely, the situation is so dire that some radical departure from the present failed policies is needed, the government is not facing up to the problem unfortunately.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 20000miles View Post
    This the lump of labour fallacy again. Also, while sharing the work programs aim to spread employment, all they really do is spread the unemployment.
    OK, let's have your solution then.

Politics.ie Member JollyRedGiant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Deputy of Listowel View Post
    Inevitability it may impact on our standard of living as everybody will be on a shorter working week, but for the greater good of society I’m sure we can adjust.
    with no loss in pay - it would cost a damned sight less than the bank bailout.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRedGiant View Post
    with no loss in pay - it would cost a damned sight less than the bank bailout.
    Yes and with such a programme it will once and for all shut up those who spend there time attacking and bad mouthing those that are on the dole. ask them to share the jobs they have and there attitude will without doubt rapidly change. As soon as you ask a greed merchant to share anything, they soon disappear into the mist.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

about 10 per cent of people willing to work (i.e. ignoring the 100,000 bums) have lost their jobs so far. I'd happily work a four and a half day week for 90%pay.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    about 10 per cent of people willing to work (i.e. ignoring the 100,000 bums) have lost their jobs so far. I'd happily work a four and a half day week for 90%pay.
    Not the point. You are now openly calling people bums. The best way to change that is to put in place a programme where jobs are shared. Are you up for it?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast