Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The aim of British Imperialism

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The aim of British Imperialism

The general aim of British Imperialism by J.A Cramb, Professor of Modern History, Queens College, London. 1913./14

This is an extract from notes on a series of lectures given by Professor Cramb in 1913/1914 in anticipation of a forthcoming conflict with Germany.
    He sums up what he beleives to be the aims of British Imperialism.

ď If I were asked to describe in one sentence the general aim of British Imperialism during the last two centuries and a half, I should answer in the spirit of Dionysius : To give all men within its bounds an English mind, to give all who come within its sway the power to look at a manís life, at the past, at the future, from the standpoint of an Englishman; to defuse within its bounds that high tolerance in religion which had marked this empire since its beginning; that reverence yet boldness before the mysteriousness of life and death characteristic of our great poets and our great thinkers ; that love of free institutions, that pursuit of an ever - higher justice and a larger freedom which rightly or wrongly we associate with the temper and character of our race wherever it is dominant and secure. ď

The average Irish person may not agree with his view point of course.

Politics.ie Member Joseph Emmet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amblincork View Post
    The general aim of British Imperialism by J.A Cramb, Professor of Modern History, Queens College, London. 1913./14

This is an extract from notes on a series of lectures given by Professor Cramb in 1913/1914 in anticipation of a forthcoming conflict with Germany.
    He sums up what he beleives to be the aims of British Imperialism.

ď If I were asked to describe in one sentence the general aim of British Imperialism during the last two centuries and a half, I should answer in the spirit of Dionysius : To give all men within its bounds an English mind, to give all who come within its sway the power to look at a manís life, at the past, at the future, from the standpoint of an Englishman; to defuse within its bounds that high tolerance in religion which had marked this empire since its beginning; that reverence yet boldness before the mysteriousness of life and death characteristic of our great poets and our great thinkers ; that love of free institutions, that pursuit of an ever - higher justice and a larger freedom which rightly or wrongly we associate with the temper and character of our race wherever it is dominant and secure. ď

The average Irish person may not agree with his view point of course.
    I was shaking my head in agreement through the first half of his statement. Of course that is exactly what was imposed by the English. They tried to make all of us talk, act, and think like they did and do. But when he started in about a "high tolerance in religion" my head was going in a perpindicular motion. What tolerance? First they tried to make all Irish into Catholics like in England, then with Henry VIII and after, they attempted to force all into the Church of England(Church of Ireland) through the sword then their law. And then to add further insult he talks of bring justice and freedom, hahahahahaha. Never in all the time, 1169 to present has there been freedom or justice in all of Ireland under their laws. But then to paraphrase many American natives, the English speak with forked tongues.
    Pep Without Purpose Is Piffle!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes but you must admit that there probably would nt have been too many Irish attending his lectures in 1914 !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Their primary aim in my opinion was wealth and land , i think also they seem to have convinced themselves that they were bringing civilization to the masses when in fact in many cases it was quite the opposite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmrebel View Post
    Their primary aim in my opinion was wealth and land , i think also they seem to have convinced themselves that they were bringing civilization to the masses when in fact in many cases it was quite the opposite.
    You mean masses to the civilized? Another catholic plot uncovered...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

English Imperialism never had a specific 'aim'.

If it had any sense of purpose at all it was to increase Trade and Profits and shove aside any people or power who stood in their way.

Retrospective justification esp in the late Victorian Era and pre WWI was to put a gloss on all this.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The purpose of British Imperialism was to grab natural resources and control markets. Their main ideological tool was to divide the subject populations along religious or tribal lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    . Their main ideological tool was to divide the subject populations along religious or tribal lines.
    It worked too

Politics.ie Member Joseph Emmet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmrebel View Post
    It worked too
    Yes, but America revolted, Ireland revolted, Scotland revolted, India revolted, Khartoum revolted. Why did not Australia and Canada revolt?
    Pep Without Purpose Is Piffle!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Americans were British - ethnic British and British in every way, prior to separation. They were not a subject people. More like the ethnic British in Australia and New Zealand.

The Scots were and are British - ethnic British and British in every way. Great Britain would not exist without The Scots. The Scots played a disproportionate role in building The British Empire.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast