Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 459

Thread: What a crap health service

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default What a crap health service

    This is my little story about our health service
    We applied for a medical card for our young son who is now 11 months old, and has Down Syndrome. He has a hole in his heart, needs glasses, has problems with his hearing, and has had kidney problems. But I was informed that he still was not entitled to a medical card. (Just how sick do you need to be)? The T.D.s are up in the Dail shedding crocodile tears over the victims of childhood abuse, shouting "this will never happen again", while at the same time our handicapped children / adults are being denied services that are essential. I got in touch with one of my local T.Ds, whom I used to know well before he entered politics. After 2 - 3 months of phone calls, many e-mails, we got a phone call from the HSE, that our baby would indeed be getting a medical card, but only for 1 year, after which time his case will be reviewed. Now I think that it is wrong that we had to evoke anybodies help. I have been told that if we lived in different parts of the country, that we would have got a medical card by right.
    I believe that if Mata Harney is ruining our health service and I hate the way that we treat our youngest and most vulnerable

    Rant over
    Last edited by controller; 2nd July 2009 at 02:53 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dublin Mid West
    Posts
    2,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sorry for your troubles, the more people who hear this story, the more chance of our country ridding us of FF. Go to your local TD who you think is the best and explain your story.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    I believe that if Mata Harney was not spending all her budget on doughnuts & mars bars (just look at her) we might have a better service
    Idiot.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    This side of the ground
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    This is my little story about our health service
    We applied for a medical card for our young son who is now 11 months old, and has Down Syndrome. He has a hole in his heart, needs glasses, has problems with his hearing, and has had kidney problems. But I was informed that he still was not entitled to a medical card. (Just how sick do you need to be)? The T.D.s are up in the Dail shedding crocodile tears over the victims of childhood abuse, shouting "this will never happen again", while at the same time our handicapped children / adults are being denied services that are essential. I got in touch with one of my local T.Ds, whom I used to know well before he entered politics. After 2 - 3 months of phone calls, many e-mails, we got a phone call from the HSE, that our baby would indeed be getting a medical card, but only for 1 year, after which time his case will be reviewed. Now I think that it is wrong that we had to evoke anybodies help. I have been told that if we lived in different parts of the country, that we would have got a medical card by right.
    I believe that if Mata Harney was not spending all her budget on doughnuts & mars bars (just look at her) we might have a better service, and I hate the way that we treat our youngest and most vulnerable

    Rant over
    And they are given to over 70's who's income is less than €36k(single).

    This really makes me mad.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Horrendous. Write to every TD and Minister. Write to every relevant consultant Doctor. Phone Joe Duffy. Letter to the editor of the Times. This is unacceptable, it needs to be resolved and people need to know about it.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member greengoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Planet Enda, Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    25,433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    Idiot.
    Excellent contribution. You might stop shooting at messengers and listen to what they have to say instead. The OP is justifiably angry and the remark was not very nice but under the circumstances understandable.

    Harney is a disgrace and we all know this but I suppose the apologists have to make something out of it...

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Pauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pfäffikon, Kanton Schwyz, Switzerland.
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    This is my little story about our health service
    We applied for a medical card for our young son who is now 11 months old, and has Down Syndrome. He has a hole in his heart, needs glasses, has problems with his hearing, and has had kidney problems. But I was informed that he still was not entitled to a medical card. (Just how sick do you need to be)? The T.D.s are up in the Dail shedding crocodile tears over the victims of childhood abuse, shouting "this will never happen again", while at the same time our handicapped children / adults are being denied services that are essential. I got in touch with one of my local T.Ds, whom I used to know well before he entered politics. After 2 - 3 months of phone calls, many e-mails, we got a phone call from the HSE, that our baby would indeed be getting a medical card, but only for 1 year, after which time his case will be reviewed. Now I think that it is wrong that we had to evoke anybodies help. I have been told that if we lived in different parts of the country, that we would have got a medical card by right.
    I believe that if Mata Harney was not spending all her budget on doughnuts & mars bars (just look at her) we might have a better service, and I hate the way that we treat our youngest and most vulnerable

    Rant over
    You have a valid grievance and a way to highlight it would be to get an opposition TD in your constituency (or any opposition TD) to ask a PQ in the Dail of the Minister for Health.

    (BTW, in my opinion, you undermine your valid point with unnecessary personal comments about the Minister for Health. Stick to political points and the content of your post with receive the respect it deserves.)
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    (BTW, in my opinion, you undermine your valid point with unnecessary personal comments about the Minister for Health. Stick to political points and the content of your post with receive the respect it deserves.)
    Noted, edited and corrected. Thankyou for your correct observation

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Excellent contribution. You might stop shooting at messengers and listen to what they have to say instead. The OP is justifiably angry and the remark was not very nice but under the circumstances understandable.
    The OP hasn't given any indication of his/her means, which is obviously critical to any discussion about medical cards. Furthermore, the observation that they would have been given a card by right in another part of the country is pants.

    Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Harney is a disgrace and we all know this but I suppose the apologists have to make something out of it...
    In what way has Medical Card eligibility changed since Harney took over?

    Harney's 2 initiatives re. medical cards were to introduce a doctor only card, which has extended coverage, and to try and take the medical card back from wealthy pensioners, in order that more resources would be available to the likes of the OP.

    I have no doubt that there are plenty of people of who should have cards who don't (eg the OP) but laying the blame at Harney's door, and personalising around her weight problem, isn' t justified.

    And I'll repeat my challenge to you re. Harney:

    Present evidence of any part of the Health Service that is worse today than it was in 2004.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    Furthermore, the observation that they would have been given a card by right in another part of the country is pants.
    Actually no.......I know parents with DS children, who have moved location just to be eligible for a medical card. they were told that in one location that they woukd not get a medical card, but other parts of the country have different rules. There is no set criteria in the country for assessing if children with DS should get medical cards. I know, because I have banged my head off a brick wall trying. I went to my local T.D. who did help, but my point was that I should never have to go near him.
    We were means tested, I was told that I had failed, but I cannot afford €65 every time our son is sick, and he is sick a lot.
    As for Mata Harney and her health service, read "Irish Apartheid. Healthcare Inequality in Ireland"

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •