Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UDA & UVF bands to march through Rasharkin

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UDA & UVF bands to march through Rasharkin

40 Loyalist bands have applied to march through Rasharkin, a 90% nationalist village in North Antrim on Friday week. Many of those who have applied are connected to both the UDA and UVF - e.g. Dunaghy Flute Band and Freeman Memorial Band from Coleraine.

The Parades Commission let this unholy terror go ahead last year and you had Catholic residents being told to stay in their homes or they would be burnt out as well as tricolours being burnt in the Main Street.

Last year DUP Councillor Mervyn Storey said that he could never condemn the burning of tricolours and said that the UVF flags referred to the UVF of 1916, Funny that the Freeman Memorial band are named after modern day UVF man Geoffrey Freeman who blew himself up in Coleraine in the 1970s and the band even participated in the DUP's parade in Rathfriland last September! Blinkers anyone?

One final note, the population of Rasharkin village is less than 1,000. The parade organisers have applied to bring 1,200 loyalists on top of the 40 bands into the village. Is there anywhere else in the north where this is happening on such a mass scale?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can PSF object to Rasharkin, when they stopped Nationalist protestors in Dunloy, and let Orangemen march there?
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Were u at the public meeting in Dunloy? The packed hall there decided what approach to take to the 12th July in Dunloy this year,not Sinn Féin.

The Parades Commission determination would have prevented what happened in Dunloy this year except that the LOL have found a loophole and have exploited it. Something tells me that standing outside a hall playing a tune will not be enough for Dunloy LOL though and if they want to have any chance of marching through Dunloy, which they still are not allowed to do, they must talk to the residents there on the basis of mutual respect.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu
    Were u at the public meeting in Dunloy? The packed hall there decided what approach to take to the 12th July in Dunloy this year,not Sinn Féin.

The Parades Commission determination would have prevented what happened in Dunloy this year except that the LOL have found a loophole and have exploited it. Something tells me that standing outside a hall playing a tune will not be enough for Dunloy LOL though and if they want to have any chance of marching through Dunloy, which they still are not allowed to do, they must talk to the residents there on the basis of mutual respect.
    I'm referring to last year.
    Or if you want another example, Nationalist protestors in Derry City (and other areas in Belfast) were physically pushed down the street by PSF who years earlier used the same people to oppose the parade. In fact anyone wearing a celtic top, was stopped from entering the town centre by PSF stewards!!!
    I spoke to peole who sat down on the Derry Walls, when the riot squad approached, they were ready to defend themselves when Mc G stood up and said no-one was to resist. The whole sham was to play the victim for the cameras. My friend got a nasty bang to the head with a baton for his troubles, he didn't return to any more PSF organised protests.
    Fact is there's no clarity regarding these Orange marches. Are all triumphalist and sectarian, or only a few. Why is it cool to object in Rasharkin but not the Bogside or Ardoyne(nothing to do with the Bogside Residents Group getting grants from the Brits I'm sure)
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What would your strategy have been in Dunloy last year then? The Orangemen didn't march last year either, they stod on the road and played a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogwarrior

Or if you want another example, Nationalist protestors in Derry City (and other areas in Belfast) were physically pushed down the street by PSF who years earlier used the same people to oppose the parade. In fact anyone wearing a celtic top, was stopped from entering the town centre by PSF stewards!!!
    I spoke to peole who sat down on the Derry Walls, when the riot squad approached, they were ready to defend themselves when Mc G stood up and said no-one was to resist. The whole sham was to play the victim for the cameras. My friend got a nasty bang to the head with a baton for his troubles, he didn't return to any more PSF organised protests.
    Fact is there's no clarity regarding these Orange marches. Are all triumphalist and sectarian, or only a few. Why is it cool to object in Rasharkin but not the Bogside or Ardoyne(nothing to do with the Bogside Residents Group getting grants from the Brits I'm sure)

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote="qwertyu"]What would your strategy have been in Dunloy last year then? The Orangemen didn't march last year either, they stod on the road and played a tune.

as its the case that their original reaction to be barred from traipsing through Dunloy was to blockade Harryville chapel in Ballymena they shouldnt be allowed back near the place at all

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'd think that some of the anti gfa republicans would have the knowhow and motivation to disrupt this hatecrime sufficiantly that the volk would forever remember to avoid areas where they aren't wanted. Sooner or later they will need to hear the voice of reason; provided it speaks loudly enough.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of Catholic families in the village are moving out for the night from what I've heard as the loyalist paramilitaries move in. Its an absolute disgrace that this can still be allowed in this day and age.

Below is the Residents' Group website:

http://rasharkn.tripod.com/

Politics.ie Newbie
    London (aka Lisbon Treaty/PD demise émigré)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In fact anyone wearing a celtic top, was stopped from entering the town centre
    I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter
    "I thought that I had a duty to help those that weren't as lucky as me." -- John Hume

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What would your strategy have been in Dunloy last year then? The Orangemen didn't march last year either, they stod on the road and played a tune.

Stood and played a tune, after being denied their right given to them by the Parades Commission by an illegal protest!

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast