Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerry McCabe

Default Gerry McCabe

What exactly is SF's stance on this issue? I'd say the SF leadership would love to come out and condemn it but they can't due to grassroots pressure esp in the north. I know shinners hate being asked about this because they need to toe the party line carefully. Personnally I don't understand all the fuss. Thousands of people were killed during the troubles, why is the life of one guard so exceptional that the terms of the GFA don't apply? I myself believe the methods of the provos were wrong and the Gerry McCabe incident should never have occurred but there is alot of hypocracy from political establishment over the treatment of his killers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They should allow him and all of the other victims of the troubles rest in peace. End of story.
    If the banks are out for a bail,
    and Lenny's efforts end up as a fail,
    when the Somer does come,
    to the Country they'll run,
    And leave a Fine mess for the Gael.

Endinf the one Party (FF) state:
    http://www.politics.ie/fianna-fail/5...ate-ended.html

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    They should allow him and all of the other victims of the troubles rest in peace. End of story.
    But do you know what exactly the position of SF is on this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-Magic View Post
    But do you know what exactly the position of SF is on this?
    I think, I think the official line is: "justice and equality for all". or summin like that
    “Show me the man you honour, and I will know what kind of man you are.” - Thomas Carlyle

Until they completely condemn the killing I would never vote SF. I think a lot of people might be of the same opinion. There seems to be a blurring of the official line on it in recent times though. During the last election there were varying opinions on how it should now be treated. The men who did it should just own up to it. Most of them have now spent a considerable time in prison already. Also this should not be included in the GFA as this was purely monetary and not in any way politically motivated. Also don't forget the other Garda Detective (O'Sullivan) lost an arm during the botched robbery.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy O'China View Post
    Until they completely condemn the killing I would never vote SF. I think a lot of people might be of the same opinion. There seems to be a blurring of the official line on it in recent times though. During the last election there were varying opinions on how it should now be treated. The men who did it should just own up to it. Most of them have now spent a considerable time in prison already. Also this should not be included in the GFA as this was purely monetary and not in any way politically motivated. Also don't forget the other Garda Detective (O'Sullivan) lost an arm during the botched robbery.
    I condemn it completely. I also condemn the killing of young Hugh Hehir in the same area some years previously. Of course no-one ever mentions [or even remembers] him.
    FF & FG: Tweedledumb & Tweedledumber. 1 privatises TE, other will privatise ESB

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gerry McCabe's murder should be condemned by everybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few things make the murder if Detective McCabe different to most. He was a servant of the Irish State who was murdered in cold blood in the course of doing his duty, his widow would not the the smirking Adams get away with it. SF used to say that they never liked to use the word 'condemn', that has changed because they were clamoring a few weeks ago to condemn the racist attacks in Belfast, now that they can use the magic word let them condemn the murder of Gerry McCabe
    The truthiness will set you free! - Stephen Colbert.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Us View Post
    I condemn it completely. I also condemn the killing of young Hugh Hehir in the same area some years previously. Of course no-one ever mentions [or even remembers] him.
    The gang involved in the killing of Jerry McCabe was on a "me féin" mission when they attempted to rob a Post Office van delivering pension money to the Post Office in Adare, operating without the approval of the IRA leadership. Subsequently Sinn Fein and the IRA tried legitimise their actions as being on "active service" despite an initial denial from Gerry Adams that the attempted robbery and killing of McCabe was in any way connected to the IRA.
    Hugh Hehir was one of two gunmen who tried to raid a post office in Caher near Feakle in Co.Clare, in an ensuing gun battle with the Gardai one of the raiders (Hugh Hehir) was shot and subsequently died, the two cases aren't comparable except that the IRA initially disowned Hugh Hehir too.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-Magic View Post
    Thousands of people were killed during the troubles, why is the life of one guard so exceptional that the terms of the GFA don't apply? I myself believe the methods of the provos were wrong and the Gerry McCabe incident should never have occurred but there is alot of hypocracy from political establishment over the treatment of his killers.
    The murderers were on a non-sanctioned operation. The proceeds of the robbery were going to be used for self-enrichment and had nothing to do with the struggle for a united Ireland.

SF's position is they just want it to go away. T Ferris would probably have taken the final Euro seat except for the McCabe issue.

Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast