Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Number of visits by ERII to Germany 4, Ireland 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Number of visits by ERII to Germany 4, Ireland 0

Just came a cross a report that Elizabeth II has visited Germany 4 times during her reign. Imagine that. How many times has she visited Ireland? 0 times. Not that I particularly care whether she does or not but really given the rivalries that have existed between the UK and Germany the contrast is pretty clear.

The question is does the British establishment actually recognise this state?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

perhaps its because she's never been formally invited
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doubt that

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well she is 3/4's German after all - I am not aware of any Irish blood

The last time she was in Berlin, about 6 years ago, she was parading down Unter Den Linden when a load of builders unfurled a huge banner which read.

WELCOME HOME, QE2

I thought that was funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a stupid reason to be upset. She has never visited becasue the Irish government clearly doesn't want to have to deal with such a potentially divisive and controversial issue. This is fine by me by the way.
    it’s the continuing series of small tragedies, that send a man to the, madhouse

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magror14 View Post
    Just came a cross a report that Elizabeth II has visited Germany 4 times during her reign. Imagine that. How many times has she visited Ireland? 0 times. Not that I particularly care whether she does or not but really given the rivalries that have existed between the UK and Germany the contrast is pretty clear.

The question is does the British establishment actually recognise this state?
    Oh and another thing.. the Queen is said to be hugely anti-Irish and very rascist about it..

I think it was actually Richard Harris who revealed this tit-bit years ago.. he said that Princess Margaret (with whom he was involved) had told him.

Harris also alleged it's why Peter O'Toole has never been offered a Knighthood, as he's perceived as not being a proper Brit, despite growing there and living there almost all his life. An Irish Catholic, who is proud of it - that's apparently the problem.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magror14 View Post
    Doubt that
    i believe that etiquette in these matters is that its agreed between both governments and then the hosting government invites her (via Downing Street), the Queen doesn't just announce she'd like to have a state visit in country X without the approvals of both governments first, something that usually takes considerable time and planning.

Historically she's not been invited (probably by agreement) due to the history of the two countries, the kerfuffle in the north and the fact that it would cause a lot of hassle and considerable cost here in the republic to ensure it was safe and successful, after all it would be the mother of all magnets for 1/2 the nut jobs in the country.....
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She has been to Ireland on numerous occasions.

Just never South of the Border.

Maybe she has been to Germany so many times because she and Philly have so many relations over there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MookieBaylock View Post
    Oh and another thing.. the Queen is said to be hugely anti-Irish and very rascist about it..

I think it was actually Richard Harris who revealed this tit-bit years ago.. he said that Princess Margaret (with whom he was involved) had told him.

Harris also alleged it's why Peter O'Toole has never been offered a Knighthood, as he's perceived as not being a proper Brit, despite growing there and living there almost all his life. An Irish Catholic, who is proud of it - that's apparently the problem.
    Besides, the Brits have a certain inferiority complex regarding the Germans. It's kind of funny.

Last match at the old Wembley. Germany beat England
    First game at the new Wembley. Germany beat England.

Wir haben die Inselaffen geschlagen, Mookie!
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Besides, the Brits have a certain inferiority complex regarding the Germans. It's kind of funny.

Last match at the old Wembley. Germany beat England
    First game at the new Wembley. Germany beat England.

Wir haben die Inselaffen geschlagen, Mookie!
    Ha, Pauli - they call us Island Monkey's too, unfortunately

I do agree on that - I suppose it stems from the fact that Germany is by far a larger and more powerful country. Also, the fact that the Brits know in their hearts that without American support they would have lost both World World Wars.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast