Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: FG have the President in the firing line??

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default FG have the President in the firing line??

    In Miriam Lord's column today she picks up on a pattern of FG attacks on the Office of President.

    I thought the office was supposed to be beyond party politics, so why is Enda allowing his TDs away with a series of swipes against the office. Is it just his weakness or is it possibly an orchestrated campaign? It's hard to imagine Desay being part of anything organised or arranged by FG, so it must be the former!



    Miriam Lord's Week

    Trigger-happy FG have President in the firing line - Miriam Lord
    What has President McAleese done to annoy Fine Gael? Michael Ring got all hot and bothered recently over Her Excellency’s use of an Air Corps helicopter to get her to the Connacht football final last year.

    It was an official engagement, and Mrs McAleese was flown to the stadium in Castlebar having earlier attended the National Day of Commemoration in Dublin. Now Michael’s colleague John Deasy is in on the act.

    He tabled a list of questions for written answer this week to Minister for Defence Willie O’Dea, asking how many members of the Defence Forces are required for ceremonial duties involving the President and how much it costs to provide this support.

    He mentioned escorts of honour, guards of honour, occasions when ambassadors’ go to the Aras to present their credentials; when heads of State roll into town on official visits and when Herself departs and arrives back in the country after State visits abroad.

    Deputy Deasy forgot to mention the Army bands and aides de camp, but Willie threw them in for good measure in his reply. As to the matter of cost, there is no additional outlay as its part of the overall job for members of the Defence Forces.

    Why this sudden interest the presidency? Perhaps Fine Gael has its eye on the Aras.

    Watch your back, Enda.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dail usher View Post
    In Miriam Lord's column today she picks up on a pattern of FG attacks on the Office of President.

    I thought the office was supposed to be beyond party politics, so why is Enda allowing his TDs away with a series of swipes against the office. Is it just his weakness or is it possibly an orchestrated campaign? It's hard to imagine Desay being part of anything organised or arranged by FG, so it must be the former!



    Miriam Lord's Week
    Or maybe John Deasy just thinks we are paying too much on Presidential Ceremonies?

    Not everything has to be a tactical.

    FG should be favourite right now to take the Presidency next time, but simple questions like this, don't make that any more likely.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dept. of FutureTaoiseach
    Posts
    7,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It is questionable whether it is appropriate to impune the office of President in this way. She is our Head of State, and as a figurehead, the holder of the office, other than during a presidential election campaign, should not be dragged into party-politics. I agree though that it comes across as making a play for the office, as the apparent implication is that FG would run the Aras on a "no frills" basis. If so, then that is the silver lining in this cloudy affair, as the people deserve the right to choose their President, rather than another stitch-up by the political-elites as in 2004.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If Enda wants rid of the president, he gets my vote.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Or maybe John Deasy just thinks we are paying too much on Presidential Ceremonies?
    These are donme by the army - its not as if someone else is brought in on a contract to do this stuff, so there is hardly any big cost involved, they already have the hats, the uniforms, the bikes, the flags the steyrs etc..

    Either way, it doesn't explain Michael Ring's attack a few days earlier....

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Trasna na dtonnta
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dail usher View Post
    it doesn't explain Michael Ring
    That would require the sevices of an anthropologist
    "Be advised, my passport's green / No glass of ours was ever raised / To toast the Queen." Seamus Heaney 1982

    "I'm a bit of a green myself" Charles Haughey 1989

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
    That would require the sevices of an anthropologist
    Ring is not the worst in FG by any means. He's one of the few that has any time for the little man, thats why Inda demoted him a few years back.

    I'd have him over the likes of smarmy Varadakar any day. Did you see him on VB recently making a prize t*t of himself during the show that discussed a new book, the subject of which was creating a fairer a society. LV blurted out(despite not being asked at that stage) that he didn't agree with the conclusions of this book - When asked by VB had he actually read he replied: "No actually"

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wicklow, Ireland
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecoguy View Post
    Ring is not the worst in FG by any means. He's one of the few that has any time for the little man, thats why Inda demoted him a few years back.

    I'd have him over the likes of smarmy Varadakar any day. Did you see him on VB recently making a prize t*t of himself during the show that discussed a new book, the subject of which was creating a fairer a society. LV blurted out(despite not being asked at that stage) that he didn't agree with the conclusions of this book - When asked by VB had he actually read he replied: "No actually"
    didn't see it personally but if he stated that then one must assume that he knew what they were, perhaps he was given a short synopsis of the book and its conclusions, in the same way that talk show hosts get them for the books of their guests, you don't really think that Ross, Ryan, Tubridy & Co actually read them do you ?
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drbob1972 View Post
    didn't see it personally but if he stated that then one must assume that he knew what they were, perhaps he was given a short synopsis of the book and its conclusions,
    No - he was just a wall of noise as usual with the swagger of someone who doesn't need to know cos he thinks he's smarter then everyone else

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wicklow, Ireland
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecoguy View Post
    No - he was just a wall of noise as usual with the swagger of someone who doesn't need to know cos he thinks he's smarter then everyone else
    not a member of www.iloveleocoshesgreat.com then at a guess ?
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •