Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender Quota in Irish Politics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gender Quota in Irish Politics

A Dáil sub-committee on Women's Participation in Politics has recommended that gender quotas in politics should be backed by legislation.

Gemma Hussey, former Fine Gael minister for education said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemma Hussey
    “We have to be stronger than just exhortation . . . it’s not enough, we need to back it up with laws, the time has passed for aspiration,”
    Niamh Bhreathnach, former Labour minister for education said "the French model of a quota system with penalties for parties who failed to comply had worked, though some parties had paid penalties rather than having women on the ballot."

This is an absolutely terrible idea, people should be voted on their ability. What is next, a quota for black politicians? A quota for travellers? A quota for people with blonde hair?

It appears this Dáil sub-committee has less faith in women than I do if they think that the introduction of gender-quota laws is necessary.

The passing of this law would set a very dangerous and regressive precedent.

Source: Female politicians want gender quota - The Irish Times - Thu, Jun 25, 2009

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

absolute madness

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazlitt View Post
    It appears this Dáil sub-committee has less faith in women than I do if they think that the introduction of gender-quota laws is necessary.

[/url][/SIZE]
    True, but more worryingly they clearly have no faith whatsoever in the Democratic process. This is a fascinating time to be alive.

To witness the death of the beautiful humanist project of Democracy is a great privilage.

We are a civilisation in decline, time to grab the fiddles and watch it burn!
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'd say it'd be fair to limit the "quota" to the percentage of political magazines/broadsheets purchased by women against the number of celebs/glossy mags purchased by women.

i'd say about 1% would be a fair "quota" and anything above would be a bonus and would reflect an overrepresentation of women in politics given the average women's interest in politics.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post
    i'd say it'd be fair to limit the "quota" to the percentage of political magazines/broadsheets purchased by women against the number of celebs/glossy mags purchased by women.

i'd say about 1% would be a fair "quota" and anything above would be a bonus and would reflect an overrepresentation of women in politics given the average women's interest in politics.
    Ouch! Good luck getting away with that one.

It could be quite costly to collect this data. Plenty of people are interested in politics, they just don't know they are. That's why they need the enlightened and benevolent tyrants in Dail Eireann to remind them of what they want/need/believe with legislation that nobody can understand nor support.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post

That's an awful idea.

I'm interested in politics and don't buy any mags, I'm sure the vast majority interested in politics are the same and get most their info in newspapers and the internet, this wouldn't give a fair representation of the number of women interested in politics in the country. If anything the number of women who voted would have to be used, but again it's just a terrible idea, there should be no quotas full-stop! Where does it end! This type of law would create more division and recrimination than anything else!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe introducing a gender quota would be a good idea in the medium term to redress the balance in Irish Politics.

I'd like to see the Labour party to voluntarily introduce their own to candidate selection, similar to those adopted in Sweden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This type of law would create more division and recrimination than anything else!
    I would imagine that is the idea. A united electorate is the stuff of nightmares for a contemporary Government.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's an awful idea.

I'm interested in politics and don't buy any mags, I'm sure the vast majority interested in politics are the same and get most their info in newspapers and the internet, this wouldn't give a fair representation of the number of women interested in politics in the country. If anything the number of women who voted would have to be used, but again it's just a terrible idea, there should be no quotas full-stop! Where does it end! This type of law would create more division and recrimination than anything else!
    sorry, i forgot to add the

i fully agree with your post and that quotas would be regressive.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be totally against this. Why should people be given any position to their gender. Those who have ability will rise those who have not will not. Any woman who accept this are open to the jibe that they are below par and it was the lack of testicles in more than one sense that got them there.

Let everyone have the same chance. If you canot compete with your peers then off with you.

Look at the disaster in the British Labour party with Blair's Babes. Do we want that quality of haradan here?
    "You Popish rogue" 'ní leomhaid a labhairt sinn
    acht "Cromwellian dog" is focal faire againn
    nó "cia súd thall" go eann gan eagla
    "Mise Tadhg" géadh teinn an t-agallamh

Bodaigh an Cháise táid go hatuireach
    ag filleadh ar a gcéird gach spéice smeartha aca
    gan ghunna, gan chloidheamh gan pinnse chleachtadar
    d'imthigh a mbrígh is tá an cridhe dá ghreada aca.

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast