Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did we all come from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Where did we all come from?

Where did we all come from?

New evidence emerging suggests strongly that our flora and fauna as well as quite possibly our earliest ancestors arrived in Ireland from France and northern Spain bypassing Britain completely.

DNA tests carried out on Irish stoats shows them to be genetically different from their British cousins and thus of a different lineage.

Pine, Elm and Oak, charted through fossil pollens seem to have migrated here directly from Spain, up the French Atlantic seaboard and across a land bridge to Cork as the Ice Age came to an end.

Pygmy Shrews in Ireland are closely related to those in the Pyrenees and would have probably arrived here through human migration in the boats of prehistoric settlers.

Also the people of Connacht are a concentrated source of ancient genetic markers diluted elsewhere in Europe by invasions and migrations. Many of Ireland’s pioneer settlers most probably arrived here from Iberia.*

Some odd ‘immigrants’ are the Connacht’s ‘Mediterranean Heather’ and the spotted Kerry slug. This slug is otherwise only found in northern Spain and Portugal.

*Can’t help feeling there might be a bit more to those old legends in the Leabhar Geabola than we give it credit for!

All this and more will be covered at a conference attended by some of the leading experts on these subjects in TCD in early September.

www.mindthegap.ie

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

very interesting -- we not look for leprechauns under your table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Where did we all come from?"

Well I think I was knitted.
    MJ Coughlan,
    Waterford City.
    http://www.bebo.com/mjcoughlan23

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoughlan
    "Where did we all come from?"

Well I think I was knitted.
    I've no doubt Mark, and people have been considering sticking sharp knitting needles back into you since
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some people in Trinity say that 80% of us have the genes of the original stone age people who settled theses islands. It seems a not much smaller percentage of the people in the neighbouring island of Britain have the same genes. does that mean we are all the same and we go back a long way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is also a "celtic gene", which is responsible for cystic fibrosis.
    Celtic rases have a higher risk of CS than our anglo and euro neighbours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The situation is far from clear

Over in Britain a lot of people, esp on the East coast haves common genes with people in Scandinavia and northern Germany that long pre date any Viking or Saxon migrations.

IMO & for what its worth I think that mostly we are descended from a mix of early Stone Age culture common to these islands, a later Neolithic one that spread from the ME through Europe and then into Ireland

- and the Iron Age Peoples from Iberia (sons of Mil etc) who sailed their ships to new lands in Britain and Ireland over a period of probably centuries.

Though whether the Celtic languages have their origins in forests of central Europe or along the Atlantic coastline is anyone's guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder what planet some of our politicians & bankers came from??? petunia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Always found it odd that there are a number of freshwater fish, Grayling and Chub amongst others, that are common in England and entirely absent from Ireland.

this article says "The findings show that modern humans and Neanderthals interbred, probably in the Middle East, between about 100,000 and 80,000 years ago, soon after modern humans migrated out of Africa and before they diversified, through chance and natural selection, into the ethnic groups that exist today. That's why northern Europeans, the Chinese and Papua New Guineans carry traces of Neanderthal ancestry, but Africans do not."
    So the scientists are just beginning to piece together the puzzle
    Ancient DNA shows interbreeding between Homo sapiens and Neanderthal
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast