Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strawberries,Potatoes and Donkeys

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Strawberries,Potatoes and Donkeys

What is the legal position regarding those people who sell strawberries and potatoes at the side of the road? I was driving down to Rosslare to do some fishing when this donkey suddenly pulled out in front of me from beside a roadside vendor. Then another mile or so down the road some guy sprinted across the N25 from another strawberry vendor to his car, which was (badly parked) in the opposite hard shoulder. Do these people have a legal right to trade there? I gather that soft fruits have an exemption under the casual trading act, but surely they should not be trading on National Roads.

jd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't believe someone was concerned about this in the wee hours of Sunday morn. Slow news day?
    I personally like these wee quirky things in life, and find it comforting in the days of the quick buck, some people are still taking life in the slow lane, selling spuds or whatever on the roadside. Simplify your life, J.D.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe there is a special by-law in Co Wexford that allows for casual trading on the roadside. In other counties a trading permit must be sought.
    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
    Oscar Wilde

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogwarrior
    Can't believe someone was concerned about this in the wee hours of Sunday morn. Slow news day?
    I personally like these wee quirky things in life, and find it comforting in the days of the quick buck, some people are still taking life in the slow lane, selling spuds or whatever on the roadside. Simplify your life, J.D.
    The problem was someone pulled out in front of me suddenly and I had to stand on the brakes. Its a national road, not a market
    jd

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think theres also a "child Labour" element to this......

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drjimryan
    I think theres also a "child Labour" element to this......
    I believe you may be correct,considering the apparant youth of some of the venders that I have come across on our National roads.....It is not inconceivable that many of our elected representatives have come across these same "youths" while traversing the highways and byways of their constituencies....????

jonna
    VOTE LABOUR!!

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its the first time ive ever heard of a donkey pulling out on someone

apart from them Danish videos badinage keeps sending me links to

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonna
    It is not inconceivable that many of our elected representatives have come across these same "youths" while traversing the highways and byways of their constituencies....????

jonna
    emmet stagg must have at some stage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do they require a license or not ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdwex View Post
    What is the legal position regarding those people who sell strawberries and potatoes at the side of the road? I was driving down to Rosslare to do some fishing when this donkey suddenly pulled out in front of me from beside a roadside vendor. Then another mile or so down the road some guy sprinted across the N25 from another strawberry vendor to his car, which was (badly parked) in the opposite hard shoulder. Do these people have a legal right to trade there? I gather that soft fruits have an exemption under the casual trading act, but surely they should not be trading on National Roads.

jd
    Its very doubtful that the donkey has a license so that might be one avenue of complaint !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast