Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC's Fergal Keane to present six-hour television series on Ireland's history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default BBC's Fergal Keane to present six-hour television series on Ireland's history

BBC's Fergal Keane to present six-hour television series on Ireland's history

The BBC's Fergal Keane is to write and present the first major TV series about the history of Ireland in nearly 30 years.

A multi-million-euro collaboration between BBC and RTE, the story will be told in six hour-long episodes, airing on both broadcasters during 2011 and involving some of Ireland's top documentary makers.

In an interview with the Sunday Tribune, Keane (48) said : "In documentary terms this is the biggest thing I have ever taken on. I do feel a responsibility to get it right. I see it as a chance to bring two things together, my passion for Irish history and everything I have experienced in conflict over the last 25 years."

Six hours to me isn't enough IMO

- but while skeptical I wish him the best because he will need all the luck he can get .

Politics.ie Member PhoenixIreland's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice to know RTE has the dosh for "multi-million" expendtidures on 6 hours of programming.
    They wont' need the Licence fee next year then, we can cancel it.
    “we will permanently end waiting lists in our hospitals within two years": Fianna Fail 2002 Manefesto

"41,000 patients on hospital waiting lists": RTE News (2007)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He'll probably attack six different themes, rather than a simple chronology. Sounds great.
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post

The BBC's Fergal Keane is to write and present the first major TV series about the history of Ireland in nearly 30 years.

A multi-million-euro collaboration between BBC and RTE, the story will be told in six hour-long episodes, airing on both broadcasters during 2011 and involving some of Ireland's top documentary makers.

In an interview with the Sunday Tribune, Keane (48) said : "In documentary terms this is the biggest thing I have ever taken on. I do feel a responsibility to get it right. I see it as a chance to bring two things together, my passion for Irish history and everything I have experienced in conflict over the last 25 years."

Six hours to me isn't enough IMO

- but while skeptical I wish him the best because he will need all the luck he can get .

BBC man - say no more. Probably the biggest West Brit in existence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    BBC man - say no more. Probably the biggest West Brit in existence.
    The usual dumb post from the usual dumb poster.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Not sure what this is likely to achieve that wasn't covered recently in "Seven Ages", unless it goes back before the creation of the state.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Not sure what this is likely to achieve that wasn't covered recently in "Seven Ages", unless it goes back before the creation of the state.
    Well six shows about the last thirty years is going to be a little more in-depth than seven shows about the last seventy.
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Was " Seven Ages " shown on BBC ?
    Because I think it's a good idea to
    give the British a history lesson
    outside their dates and kings approach.

Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Well six shows about the last thirty years is going to be a little more in-depth than seven shows about the last seventy.
    Not necessarily, "Seven Ages" concentrated on this country only, because Keane's series involves the BBC, it's likely to include an equal amount of focus on Northern Ireland.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedmethodist View Post
    Was " Seven Ages " shown on BBC ?
    Because I think it's a good idea to
    give the British a history lesson
    outside their dates and kings approach.

What kind of "lesson" do you think the likes of Keane will provide?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast