Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MP fears Loughinisland case traded for UVF guns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MP fears Loughinisland case traded for UVF guns

Police Ombudsman Al Hutchinson last night denied that he had been asked to delay publishing a report into one of the worst UVF atrocities of the Troubles to facilitate talks over loyalist decommissioning.

However, South Down MP Eddie McGrady yesterday warned against any government attempt to downgrade a police investigation into the UVF murder of six men in Loughinisland as a trade-off in exchange for loyalist decommissioning.

Yesterday families of the six men murdered in the June 1994 massacre raised concerns that the PSNI had downgraded the murder inves- tigation to the Historic Enquiries Team (HET) just days before UVF decommissioning.

The Loughinisland families demanded to know if this week’s decision to treat the murder investigations as “cold cases’ was connected to any decommissioning deal with the UVF.

The PSNI rejected the claim and insisted its murder investigation was still ongoing.

Mr McGrady said he was concerned that a year-long delay in the publication of a police ombudsman’s report into the Loughinisland murders was “politically convenient” to allow a decommis- sioning deal.

Mr McGrady said that he had been informed by the ombudsman in June 2008 that a “substantive” investigation into Loughinisland had been completed and that its report would be published later that summer.

However, nearly a year later the ombudsman has informed him that the investigation is still incomplete.

“My fear that this delay by the ombudsman’s office was politically convenient in the circumstances has been heightened with the announcement that the investigation is to become a ‘cold case’ under the historical investigations team, on the day that the UVF appear to have committed to decommissioning.

However, a spokesman for the ombudsman’s office denied that there had been “any contact or political interference of any nature from any source and the office remains completely independent in these matters”.

“The police ombudsman is determined to conclude on this grave matter as expeditiously as possible and issue a statement on his findings,” the spokesman said.

Irish News: NEWS: MP fears Loughinisland case traded for UVF guns

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I would share McGrady's suspiscion at the timing of this announcement but for very different reasons. Loyalist decommissioning provides a suitable diversion to obscure the Loughinsland issue; which is primarily one of collusion-led mass-murder. They will truthfully deny that a deal was done to secure decommissioning as no such deal would have been necessary and the people will assume that they are lying and think little more of it. The reason that they want to bury Loughinisland is primarily because of the level of collusion involved and the fact that the likes of Mark Haddock are still alive.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doubt greatly if it will turn out to be the only deal involved. Who'd a thought the British Government and Loyalists would ever make a deal on something?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    Doubt greatly if it will turn out to be the only deal involved. Who'd a thought the British Government and Loyalists would ever make a deal on something?
    I would imagine that the original deal was when the Loyalists were given the opportunity to exact revenge on Haddock. He was shot with low velocity rounds that didn't kill him but left him sh1tting in a bag for the rest of his life. He, and the Mount Vernon RUC/UVF unit have been proven to have been involved in Loughinisland and other incidents. The case will be buried or Haddock will before he can say too much.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crowley View Post
    I would imagine that the original deal was when the Loyalists were given the opportunity to exact revenge on Haddock. He was shot with low velocity rounds that didn't kill him but left him sh1tting in a bag for the rest of his life. He, and the Mount Vernon RUC/UVF unit have been proven to have been involved in Loughinisland and other incidents. The case will be buried or Haddock will before he can say too much.
    Are you suggesting the British will not look after their own agent? You're mad I tell you, they'll never get away with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My family are from Loughlinisland, the community still have not fully gotten over the attack, mainly because most people around there know exactly were the attackers came from.

I hope the report has not been delayed just to accomodate the UVF doing something that they should have done years ago.
    'A defeatist attitude now would surely lead to defeat, it primarly a question of whether we have confidence in ourselves and the dilligence and determination of our people,We can't opt out of the future.' Sean Lemass (1965)

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc444 View Post
    My family are from Loughlinisland, the community still have not fully gotten over the attack, mainly because most people around there know exactly were the attackers came from.

I hope the report has not been delayed just to accomodate the UVF doing something that they should have done years ago.
    Decommisioning the guns the British governemnt imported and supplied to them to carry out actions like Loughinisland in the first place ?
    McGrady seems to have missed another elephant in the room . Whats needed here is not loyalist decomissioning but a British government apology and promise neevr to import massive arms shipements into Ireland again and never to distribute them to their agents to carry out atrocities like Loughinisland . Without that any decomissioning move is completely farcical and utterly meaningless .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see Irish team will wear black armbands when the play Italy in June on anniversary of the shooting. How did FAI and EFA agree to this. It sets a precedent. They will have to balance it with commemoration of IRA atrocity- maybe Enniskillen or La Mon would be appropriate ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    I see Irish team will wear black armbands when the play Italy in June on anniversary of the shooting. How did FAI and EFA agree to this. It sets a precedent. They will have to balance it with commemoration of IRA atrocity- maybe Enniskillen or La Mon would be appropriate ?
    wonder if the provos and maffia were in on this ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

maybe it was because they were murdered for the crime of watching an Irish soccer match, do you ever tire of your orange gimpery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's because it was Ireland Vs Italy, which it will be again and it is precisely 10 years to the day, since the attack took place.

BBC - Homepage
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast