Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make them speak English...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Make them speak English...

Just listening to RTE 6.01 News read by Siun Ni Gearailt. She just cannot pronounce English to a standard acceptable to a national news service.

First off: she "walcomes" us to "Six One Nooz", quickly followed by a reference to a "referendum compaign".

Among the other legion mispronunciations: "taken hastage"; "Carlew" (the town in Co Carlow, I suppose); "weekand".

It really is long past time RTE dealt with this butchery of pronunciation, by introducing guidelines on what presenters may not say. Or giving them elocution lessons. What might be acceptable on "Span" FM is quite simply a needless pandering to speech fashion on flagship public service programmes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

she is not dublin 4 so what ,she has a nice kerry accent ,and i say this as someone who isnt from kerry,have you heard sharon ni bholain mangle the english language?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed. She has a history of it.

(Though I suppose this site can hardly condemn her, given that most posters here cannot spell!)
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peader odonnell View Post
    she is not dublin 4 so what ,she has a nice kerry accent ,and i say this as someone who isnt from kerry,have you heard sharon ni bholain mangle the english language?
    Who said she was D4? I'm going by what she's saying, not where she's from (it's not K4 by any chance, is it?). A nice accent is that of the lady (Claire) currently reading the sport (although she's just said Ort-Ee-Ee - ouch!!)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post
    Who said she was D4? I'm going by what she's saying, not where she's from (it's not K4 by any chance, is it?). A nice accent is that of the lady (Claire) currently reading the sport (although she's just said Ort-Ee-Ee - ouch!!)
    susan byrne and john finnerty are the best two with rte, you can hear very word, and brid og ni bhuchalla is the best as gaeilge, her voice turns me on no end.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peader odonnell View Post
    susan byrne and john finnerty are the best two with rte, you can hear very word, and brid og ni bhuchalla is the best as gaeilge, her voice turns me on no end.
    I love SB's voice. And she's cute too: Google Image Result for http://tvpresenters.thetvroomplus.com/images-news/susan-byrne.jpg. I'd definitely take her out to dinner, even if only to hear her read the wine list!!!

JF also excellent, but I wouldn't be as inclined to take him out to dinner.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BBC used to have an insistance on a certain accent but ditched that years ago.
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is her second language, in fairness...

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She is a total fox, the pronunciation wouldn't worry me.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    She is a total fox, the pronunciation wouldn't worry me.
    Yep, she could butcher a seal pup on TV and I wouldn't care, whatever about butchering the language...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast