Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CALL FOR TALLIES (and polling schemes...) for Tallyriffic map system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default CALL FOR TALLIES (and polling schemes...) for Tallyriffic map system

I'd be much gratified if people could send on the tallies - both for locals and euros - to me at djcpmoore@hotmail.com ... I will provide anyone who sends me on such material with whatever maps they want, and will also post interesting maps on here...

If anyone has polling schemes and/or lists of polling stations/boxes handy they would be very helpful too...

I have a few tallies and polling schemes already - these have helped make my maps of the 07 election more accurate, so I will post a selection of them shortly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some Leitrim maps....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some Newbridge and Naas town maps (either by area or by estate; estates maps more interesting but area maps more accurate...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And finally some maps from 07...

This is waterford City...

and Limerick County...

(Willie got 41% in the city and 36% in the county - but notice how his county vote is mugh higher further away from the city...)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good work. I can't contribute anything, though.

What I would find interesting would be if your maps could include residential location of the candidates. At least in rural areas this seems to have a major effect on the outcome.
    Would be nice if someone examined this in detail.

My electoral area included the highest percentages in the state of turnout in local elections, by the way. I'd love to have it explained why that was. Are there any people seeking to explain such phenomena?
    Last edited by Christel; 21st June 2009 at 12:53 AM.

DJ those are fantastic maps. One could be looking at tally sheets for hours and not pick up the geographical awareness that your maps bring to the analysis. Excellent stuff and a lot of hard work too in terms of data entry not to mind the programming side of things.

Christel yes, there is somebody who has studied in meticulous detail the impacs of a candidates residence and also the reasons for different turnout levels. See the work of Dr. Adrian Kavanagh of NUI Maynooth who has researched these questions in exceptional detail. He has published in a number of political science journals. He has taken DEDs in Laois and in Dublin Inner City for forensic scrutiny, and no doubt many other places as well.

LK

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greenmount1 View Post
    DJ those are fantastic maps. One could be looking at tally sheets for hours and not pick up the geographical awareness that your maps bring to the analysis. Excellent stuff and a lot of hard work too in terms of data entry not to mind the programming side of things.

Christel yes, there is somebody who has studied in meticulous detail the impacs of a candidates residence and also the reasons for different turnout levels. See the work of Dr. Adrian Kavanagh of NUI Maynooth who has researched these questions in exceptional detail. He has published in a number of political science journals. He has taken DEDs in Laois and in Dublin Inner City for forensic scrutiny, and no doubt many other places as well.

LK
    Thanks for this info.

Unfortunately none of his work seems available online?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great stuff DJ.. I'll try to get the South Tipperary ones for you.. but tell me, where did you get the base map with the box by box townsland areas ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    Great stuff DJ.. I'll try to get the South Tipperary ones for you.. but tell me, where did you get the base map with the box by box townsland areas ?

The Constituency Boundary Commission reports - the maps are broken down by DEDS... don't have the address but I'm sure I got em from the Dept of Environment site...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Local 09 tallies in so far...

still looking for euro & local tallies... please email to djcpmoore@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast