Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Accent snobbery in the Irish media

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Arrow Accent snobbery in the Irish media

Why is it that even in this day and age- that practically every news, sports or talkshow presenter has to have a supposedly "media friendly" accent? For instance how often do you hear somebody with a North Dublin, Cork, Mayo, Clare etc accent reading the news, or presenting a Friday night talkshow? Now I am by no means making accusations, but would I be correct in saying that it's unusual that the likes of Ryan Tubridy secured the position as presenter of the Late late show in place of let's say Joe Duffy, Eamon Dunphy or Eddie Hobbes who have years upon years of experience in dealing with media matters? Why is it still, in the Ireland of 2009 necessary to speak with a so-called "proper" voice to gain a respectable position on Irish televesion? Also by no means am I seeking, or suggesting reverse discrimination against the Pat Kenny's, Miriam O' Callaghan's or Ryan Turbidy's of this world- that would be hypocritical, and of course they should be considered equally in my books. But why aren't people with non-media refined accents been accepted to present to the Irish public- especially considering that many of them speak with accents which are not given airspace.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, and why do they pronounce every second place name wrongly ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DS-09 View Post
    Why is it that even in this day and age- that practically every news, sports or talkshow presenter has to have a supposedly "media friendly" accent? For instance how often do you hear somebody with a North Dublin, Cork, Mayo, Clare etc accent reading the news, or presenting a Friday night talkshow? Now I am by no means making accusations, but would I be correct in saying that it's unusual that the likes of Ryan Tubridy secured the position as presenter of the Late late show in place of let's say Joe Duffy, Eamon Dunphy or Eddie Hobbes who have years upon years of experience in dealing with media matters? Why is it still, in the Ireland of 2009 necessary to speak with a so-called "proper" voice to gain a respectable position on Irish televesion? Also by no means am I seeking, or suggesting reverse discrimination against the Pat Kenny's, Miriam O' Callaghan's or Ryan Turbidy's of this world- that would be hypocritical, and of course they should be considered equally in my books. But why aren't people with non-media refined accents been accepted to present to the Irish public- especially considering that many of them speak with accents which are not given airspace.

I suppose they want accents which are intelligible and inoffensive to the majority of people in the country. I don't know how Fergal Bowers fits into this scheme.

While I do see how a neutral accent is beneficial in media (it is not distinct to any social class or geographical area), I do not understand the adoption of english and american accents has been adopted in recent years.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

can anyone explain what "Board Gosh" is? apparently they've lost a laptop - according to RTE news...

don't start me on miriam o'callaghan's "alactions"
    ------
    Coleslaw or Corby Trouser Press? Decisions....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I do depise the RTE accent, I also loathe nasal "howya" Dublin gurrier twangs. I'm happy to be called a snob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish people in general tend to have poor pronunciation. (awaits allegations of west Britishness)
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Irish people in general tend to have poor pronunciation. (awaits allegations of west Britishness)
    No worse than alot of other places though. I was watching Sky News yesterday where Princes William and Harry were being interviewed - their consistent omission of T at the end of words such as What was driving me crazy.

I find Americans, despite peculiar use of language and annoying accents, do tend to pronounce the letters which are present in a word better than most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only because they take their time with them. The US has a slow drawl.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They don't. Most normal people have very good pronunciation. The twits at RTE are the main offenders here. That and the D4OS accent which is now not so much an accent as it is a speech impediment.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast