Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any institutions which critique media in Ireland?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is there any institutions which critique media in Ireland?

I've been reading Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky, his critique on American media, and a lot of it seems to be very relevant to Ireland.

Have there been any such studies done of media bias in Ireland, or will I have to write one myself?

You only have to look at some of the threads here to see how much nonsense is written in Irish papers, has there been any publications or research done on this?

John

No ,the open goal awaits you.But I think 'critique' should be left as a noun.Otiose American academics have clogged up the arteries of the English language with these crappy,clunky neologisms.And that's before you even start! You sure you want to go through with this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macdarawhitfield View Post
    No ,the open goal awaits you.But I think 'critique' should be left as a noun.Otiose American academics have clogged up the arteries of the English language with these crappy,clunky neologisms.And that's before you even start! You sure you want to go through with this?
    It's something that's been on my mind for a while, and I think it could be both useful and interesting to people. And there's so many prominent events being reported right now, it's hard to take my mind off it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eoin Devereux in the University of Limerick has done a fair bit of work in this area. You could email him - eoin dot devereux at ul dot ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Don Astun View Post
    Are there...

MediaBite / A Shot at Bias in the media (awful website) the inevitable Irish homage to something done earlier and better elsewhere - medialens - correcting for the distorted vision of the corporate media - corporate media issues

The examples may be American but I thought the propaganda model applied widely - or was supposed to.

Watch out for the grammar fascists.
    Well at least some folk in Ireland are trying to do something about the problem of Irish media bias I suppose ;-). Done any work about the problem yourself? Medialens is funded by a private donor and has two full time-paid staff. They didn't have to pay for their nice website themselves. Naturally they are able to put a lot of time and effort into their work. They have a much bigger readership in Britain and so have many more subscribers and donors. To be fair, MediaBite is kept going by voluntary media activists who get not one penny for anything they do and must fit the work in around full-time jobs and other committments - and pay for everything out of their own pockets. Sure, these constraints show, I agree. They also openly acknowledge that the inspiration for their work came from Medialens, who were inspired by FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) the US version of the same idea - who I believe were inspired by Chomsky - who has in turn contributed a good interview to MediaBite's 'awful' website and also to one of their media analyses.

Interview with Chomsky
    MediaBite - On the Media, Anti-Americanism and Disparity

Analysis with contribution from Chomsky:
    MediaBite - An instruction from civilisation to barbarism

Other journalists/peeps who have given interviews to MediaBite about bias in the media include:-

Fintan O' Toole
    Harry Browne
    Lara Marlowe
    Joe Higgins
    Raymond Deane
    Joe MacAnthony
    Frank Connolly
    Eddie Holt
    Dahr Jamail
    Pepe Escobar

All available here, free, gratis and for nothing:

MediaBite / A Shot at Bias in the media

Village Magazine seems to like their stuff too - they've published three articles by the MediaBite folk:

'The Elephant between the Property ads'
    MediaBite - The Elephant in between the property ads

'Harney & Husband'
    MediaBite - Harney and Husband

'The Irish Media failing over Rossport'
    (What do Nigeria and Ireland have in common? Shell, gas and trouble - also published on Znet)
    MediaBite - Irish media failing over Rossport

I'd say they do their best in difficult circumstances.
    Last edited by blacbloc; 17th June 2009 at 09:15 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks this is all very interesting.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's the interesting "Irish Media: A Critical History Since 1922" by John Horgan
    and Mark O'Brien has written some interesting books about the "Irish Press" and
    "Irish Times".

Quote Originally Posted by arcadeparade View Post
    Thanks this is all very interesting.
    Glasgow University Media Research Group did lots of stuff about N Ireland, I think.BTW, I'm not a grammar fascist.There's no law against 'Critiquing' - groan- more of an aesthetic thing y'know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arcadeparade View Post
    I've been reading Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky, his critique on American media, and a lot of it seems to be very relevant to Ireland.

Have there been any such studies done of media bias in Ireland, or will I have to write one myself?

You only have to look at some of the threads here to see how much nonsense is written in Irish papers, has there been any publications or research done on this?

John
    Your on it mate

- this is where the Buck stops!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eddie Holt in DCU is also good in this area, and Harry Browne, formerly of Irish Times, now in DIT, nods in the direction too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast