Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 639

Thread: Cobh Town Council 2009 - 2014

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Cobh Town Council 2009 - 2014

    This thread is a follow on to our popular Cobh election thread as the people have now returned our new council for the next five years and this is a thread where we can comment on their progress etc.

    Our new council is: (in oder of election)

    Sean O'Connor Ind.
    Jim Quinlan Lab.
    Paddy Histon Ind.
    John Mulvihill Jnr. Lab.
    Michael Martin FF
    Kieran McCarthy SF
    Sinead Sheppard FG
    Paddy Whitty FG
    Finbarr O'Driscoll Lab.
    Last edited by Rebelman; 15th June 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: fixed Paddy histon's sirname

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    To get the ball rolling, here is my report on today's AGM:

    I attended today’s AGM with great hope that we will at least see signs of unity and a belief that together Cobh should be put first and petty differences should be pushed aside, I could not have been more wrong.

    The election of mayor set the tone and what followed speaks for itself with no comment necessary.

    There were two nominees for mayor Paddy Whitty FG (who failed to reach the quota) was proposed by John Mulvihill Jnr Lab. and seconded by Sinead Sheppard FG. Sean O’Connor Ind. (who polled 2.5 quotas) was proposed by Kieran McCarthy SF and seconded by Michael Martin FF.
    The resulting vote saw Whitty elected 6:3.

    For deputy mayor Paddy Histon was elected having been proposed by Paddy Whitty FG and seconded by Jim Quinlan Lab.

    We now know there is a new mayorial pact agreed between FG and Labour, which is supported by “independent” Paddy Histon (who I suspect will formally join FG before taking up a term as mayor).

    What emerged afterwards was how deep this pact stretched with every single position being shared between these 6 and councillors Martin, O’Connor and McCarthy completely shut out losing every vote on a 6:3 count.

    Here are the full details:

    Association of Munical authorities (2 nominees)
    Nominee 1: John Mulvihill Jnr. Lab defeated M Martin FF 6:3
    Nominee 2: Jim Quinlan lab. Defeated M. Martin FF 6:3

    Irish Public Health insurance group:
    Paddy Whitty FG (unopposed)

    Twinning committee: (2 nominees)
    Nominee 1: Finbarr O’Driscoll Lab (unopposed)
    Nominee 2: Sinead Sheppard FG (unopposed)

    Cobh Museum Committee:
    Paddy Whitty FG (unopposed)

    Cobh Tourism: (3 nominees)
    Nominee 1: Sinead Sheppard FG defeated M Martin FF 6:3
    Nominee 2: Jim Quinlan Lab defeated M Martin FF 6:3
    Nominee 3: Paddy Histon Ind. Defeated M Martin FF 6:3
    (M Martin is the only town council member who works full time in the tourism industry)

    Cobh Heritage Committee:
    Paddy Whitty FG defeated M Martin FF 6:3
    (M Martin runs Cobh’s only heritage walking tour)

    Cork County Council strategic planning committee: (2 nominees)
    Nominee 1: John Mulvihill Jnr. Defeated Michael Martin FF 6:3
    Nominee 2: Sinead Sheppard FG defeated Michael Martin FF 6:3

    Cork VEC:
    Finbarr o’driscoll lab. Defeated M Martin FF 6:3

    Titanic Memorial Committee: (3 nominees)
    Nominee 1: Jim Quinlan Lab defeated M Martin FF 6:3
    Nominee 2 Sinead Sheppard FG defeated Michael Martin FF 6:3
    Nominee 3: Paddy Histon Ind. Defeated M martin FF 6:3
    (M Martin is a titanic expert and is the creator of the Titanic trail)

    Carrignafoy Leisure (shareholders representative)
    Paddy Histon Ind defeated M Martin FF 6:3

    Directors of Carrignafoy Leisure: (3 directors but only 2 filled today)
    Director 1: Finbarr O’Driscoll lab defeated M Martin FF 6:3
    Director 2: Paddy Whitty FG defeated M Martin FF 6:3
    Director 3: Padraig Lynch remains in place but confusion arose over this position

    Boundary Extension sub-committee: (3 nominees)
    Nominee 1: Finbarr O’Driscoll Lab defeated Kieran mcCarthy SF 6:3
    Nominee 2: Paddy Whitty Fg defeated Kieran McCarthy SF 6:3
    Nominee 3: Paddy Histon Ind. Defeated Kieran mcCarthy SF 6:3

    The motion that a meeting take place to discuss allowing others onto the board of Carrignafoy Leisure got unanimous approval although it did receive some criticism from the floor.

    A motion tabled by Kieran McCarthy calling for the term of office of mayor to not be fixed at 12 months was defeated by surprisingly a 6:3 vote

    The meeting finished up with a discussion about Cobh moving up in the dirty town rankings, but the most sensibile contributions to this debate came from those who said we still have a long road to go in making this a clean tidy town.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    KERRY
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I am surprised that the Council decides the members on Committees with a vote on each position. On Kerry CC if there are 2 positions the nominees are voted to fill 2 vacancies. So like in the situation where the FG/LAB pact has a 14/13 majority it still can only take 1 of the nominees. In a case of where there are 3 positions to fill then the majority block will take 2 and the opposition 1. But it is not any entire wipeout.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post
    I am surprised that the Council decides the members on Committees with a vote on each position. On Kerry CC if there are 2 positions the nominees are voted to fill 2 vacancies. So like in the situation where the FG/LAB pact has a 14/13 majority it still can only take 1 of the nominees. In a case of where there are 3 positions to fill then the majority block will take 2 and the opposition 1. But it is not any entire wipeout.
    to be honest I was thinking the same myself today and I would question if correct procedures were followed especially in the positions where 3 places were up for grabs with 3 votes in the minority group they should have been able to secure positions on those committees as a minimum and they would have had a fighting chance in the places where 2 positions were available.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelman View Post
    This thread is a follow on to our popular Cobh election thread as the people have now returned our new council for the next five years and this is a thread where we can comment on their progress etc.

    Our new council is: (in oder of election)

    Sean O'Connor Ind.
    Jim Quinlan Lab.
    Paddy Whitty Ind.
    John Mulvihill Jnr. Lab.
    Michael Martin FF
    Kieran McCarthy SF
    Sinead Sheppard FG
    Paddy Whitty FG
    Finbarr O'Driscoll Lab.

    Are there really two Paddy Whittys?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Are there really two Paddy Whittys?
    my bad, fixing it now

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I really have to laugh at how obscene it all is.

    Paddy Whitty I am not suprised with, he really does think hes popular you know.
    If you dont have a camera at your function he wont turn up, maybe that could be some good advice... and if you are inviting him, he;ll send you a list of media he wants invited aswell.
    I dont think he will have learned anything from his previous five years, and the vote he polled.

    Paddy Histon, I am suprised he has associated himself so blaitantly with this pact, but maybe I shouldnt be, what Paddy 1 says Paddy 2 will do.

    Jim Quinlan, I didnt think he would be a party line man.

    Finbar O'Driscoll, quite vocall at the doors allegedly about how he would be telling Mull he would be partaking in no pacts. Obviously a load of lip service, not a good start.

    Sinead Sheppard. I hope someone writes her good reports for these committee events she attends,...
    and the same goes for the rest of them.
    I have a feeling the other three will be holding the "Coalition of the Meek" accountable for there lofty positions and "abilities" they think they have, as is expected by the electorate.

    Another five years of the same old shyte.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Podolski1.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelman View Post
    my bad, fixing it now
    Yes, the Admiral and the Midshipman.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brezzyy View Post
    I really have to laugh at how obscene it all is.

    Paddy Whitty I am not suprised with, he really does think hes popular you know.
    If you dont have a camera at your function he wont turn up, maybe that could be some good advice... and if you are inviting him, he;ll send you a list of media he wants invited aswell.
    I dont think he will have learned anything from his previous five years, and the vote he polled.

    Paddy Histon, I am suprised he has associated himself so blaitantly with this pact, but maybe I shouldnt be, what Paddy 1 says Paddy 2 will do.

    Jim Quinlan, I didnt think he would be a party line man.

    Finbar O'Driscoll, quite vocall at the doors allegedly about how he would be telling Mull he would be partaking in no pacts. Obviously a load of lip service, not a good start.

    Sinead Sheppard. I hope someone writes her good reports for these committee events she attends,...
    and the same goes for the rest of them.
    I have a feeling the other three will be holding the "Coalition of the Meek" accountable for there lofty positions and "abilities" they think they have, as is expected by the electorate.

    Another five years of the same old shyte.
    Yes indeed...............What a disaster

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Are there really two Paddy Whittys?
    Jayzus no............ One is too much!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •