Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Christy Burke: this is my seat - not PSF's

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Christy Burke: this is my seat - not PSF's

A defiant Christy Burke has challenged Sinn Fein to a fresh vote to prove that his voters chose him over the party.

The popular councillor, who stunned the political landscape by resigning the party whip, has come under sustained criticism from his former Sinn Fein colleagues.

In an abrupt statement through party chair Aengus O Snodaigh, Sinn Fein said: "He should now humour the commitment that he made only weeks ago and return what is a Sinn Fein seat to the party."

However, Mr Burke said today that he won "a Christy Burke seat".

"My attitude is that I'm 25 years elected as a councillor and I imagine it is definitely a Christy Burke seat at this stage."

He said he was hurt by the party's reaction after he had given 40 years of his life to the Republic movement.

"It's like my family said, 'if that's what people think of you in Sinn Fein after 40 years, they didn't think much of you'," Mr Burke said.

"If it was wholeheartedly a Sinn Fein seat I would say no problem, but I believe it was a personal vote."

He has challenged his former party to a new vote if they believe he doesn't deserve to take his council seat.

"I'm quite prepared to go back to the people. If someone in Sinn Fein wants to put forward a candidate in a local vote I'll take them on. That's how confident I am," he said.

"If somebody wants to carry out a vox-pop in a scientific method and the swing is in favour of Sinn Fein, then I'll walk."

The north inner city representative said he and his family were disappointed by Sinn Fein's drastic reaction.

"When Joe Beehan left Fianna Fail last year the Taoiseach didn't come out screaming for him to give the seat back to the party," he said. "I'm still sad this morning, I'm pretty emotional but I want to get on with representing the people."

Rumours circulated in Sinn Fein yesterday that the party wanted the seat for rejected MEP candidate Mary Lou McDonald, although sources have denied this.

Burke: This is my seat - not Sinn Fein's - Politics, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is Christy Burke's seat, won through decades of community work and activism. I remember voters in '93 creditting him for getting results such as traffic lights in areas otherwise ignored by the main parties.

Let the provos run against Christy next time around and we will see how far they get.....better still, run the Louser against him!

As for the the last paragraph.....we had Pat 'the gub' McL suggesting much the same thing until he was likely told to retract.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is already a Christy Burke thread, but there is no doubt that Aengus has been spinning this all wrong.
    Fianna Fáil
    The Land agents party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In an abrupt statement through party chair Aengus O Snodaigh, Sinn Fein said: "He should now humour the commitment

Humour the commitment ? That's a laugh !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a sad day for SF, the party is on life support in the south at the moment.

There is no such thing as a party seat. Goes to show what these criminals know about democracy.
    Michael Courtney
    Lusk

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eorna View Post
    There is already a Christy Burke thread, but there is no doubt that Aengus has been spinning this all wrong.
    I'm aware of that Eorna, I've been active on the other thread. However, it has descended into a shinner led slagging match and as such Christy words above would be lost amidst the misdirection if posted there.

I would ask the mods to allow this thread to remain open as it provides a fresh insight into this issue.

Verso

Quote Originally Posted by FutureChiefJustice View Post
    There is no such thing as a party seat. Goes to show what these criminals know about democracy.
    Will you be supporting a re-run of the Lisbon treaty? I'm gonna assumee you answer yes, at which point I can say 'goes to show what these elites know about democracy'

Verso

Think you just have to look at the paltry number of first prefs that went to RMA to see how many people in DNIC voted for CB in spite , and not because, of the fact he was a SF candidate, if CB decides to run as an independent in any future elections in DNIC SF may as well just call it a no contest, it is very much a CB seat, in the same way as O'Sullivan won the TG seat . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureChiefJustice View Post
    Would you include Christy Burke as a 'criminal'?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is fair enough Mr C. I can't get over the hugh own goal that they are turning this in to.
    Fianna Fáil
    The Land agents party.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast