Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Fine Gael's weakest link?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question What is Fine Gael's weakest link?

There are plenty of anti-Enda threads already, this discusses Fine Gael's Weak links rather than the personality of the leader.

FG last won a general election in 1982, has been in power for less time than the pds and labour in my lifetime and appears to bottle it in the closing days of a successful campaign (this time enda v frank F, enda v garret, last time the leaders debate and dream on baby, noonan's bus tour, etc). So what is it that holds them back?

1. Their colourful history? Hardly except to anoraks.
    2. Their dependence on Labour - yes but it is also a strength.
    3. Their front bench - a few nutjobs but generally there is strength in depth.
    4. Their organisiation - has probably never been stronger or had higher morale. Frank F would be recognised as a key asset here.
    5. Their tendency to believe their own hype/arrogance - a regular accusation but is it backed up.
    6. Their 330 odd councillors, 52 TDs? I suspect that the are of a higher quality than FF'S but is that bar sufficient?
    7. The Press.a few friends there but not really much use to the party.
    8.its policies - their cut proposals are headlines (per richard bruton on VB) rather than details, they have no policies of substance on how four billion cuts will be achieved (neither do the government). Are they keeping them quiet because of FF attacks, they disagree the labour or they do not exist?
    If the banks are out for a bail,
    and Lenny's efforts end up as a fail,
    when the Somer does come,
    to the Country they'll run,
    And leave a Fine mess for the Gael.

Endinf the one Party (FF) state:
    http://www.politics.ie/fianna-fail/5...ate-ended.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Question R24U View Post
    There are plenty of anti-Enda threads already

a great many of them start by you, you troll!

Their tendency to believe their own hype/arrogance - a regular accusation but is it backed up.
    again this is your regular accusation, not something that is in the public at large.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    a great many of them start by you, you troll!

again this is your regular accusation, not something that is in the public at large.
    Back that up.
    But if you want to discuss enda we can. Here is the short version.
    Teambuilder, party back from extinction, every election improvement, loved by the faithful, feared by FF(hence all the threads). Charisma free schoolteacher, not appointed to any position bar tourism minister, garret has a problem with him, he is consistetly less popular than his party.

NOW BACK TO DISCUSSING FINE GAEL.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be brutally honest their only real weakness, the one thing that has bedevilled them for generations, is unfortunately this: the mentality of the electorate.

Over the last 5 decades or so cute-hoorism, sly sneaky corruption, knifing the other fella in the back, clambering up the greasy pole then kicking it away so nobody else can clamber up after you, strokes and scams, pulling the fast one, making the quick buck, hard-necked bluster as a viable alternative for actually knowing what the f*** you are talking about - these have all been seen as desirable qualities in wider Irish culture & society and, indeed, quintessentially Irish qualities to have.

Boring old by-the-book rules and competence and the rule of law and honesty and ethics and thinking things through, on the other hand, have been viewed with suspicion as un-natural and foreign traits by the majority of the electorate.

I think things are slowly changing, I think the bulk of the younger generations who have spent their working lives working for foreign multinationals and have been exposed to more ethical continental & asian business practices, who have travelled the world and come back with far-fetched tales of how things in other countries actually work, have no time for the greasy chancer cute-hoor types any more.

It may take another generation or two though to eradicate gombeen culture.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bar the first two, the rest are quality threads and been read by many posters, they just 10,000 hits and have hundreds of replies. You appear to want to discuss me. Or discuss Enda. But I suggest you should discuss thread topic: what is the weakest link of Ireland's largest local political party?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bar the first two, the rest are quality threads and been read by many posters, they just 10,000 hits and have hundreds of replies. You appear to want to discuss me. Or discuss Enda. But I suggest you should discuss thread topic: what is the weakest link of Ireland's largest local political party?
    No I don't. I want you stop starting ridiculous troll threads suggesting that FG is weak, when it has actually been doing quite well. It is clear that your intention is not to start a general discussion but to try to create the impression that FG is weak and in difficulty.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    No I don't. I want you stop starting ridiculous troll threads suggesting that FG is weak, when it has actually been doing quite well. It is clear that your intention is not to start a general discussion but to try to create the impression that FG is weak and in difficulty.
    I disagree with you on that. I have started many threads (including the one on my signature) and quite few are on Fine Gael - that is likely to increase since it is more probable they will form the next government (it is not weak or in difficulty but nor is it perfect).

Now does anymone, particularly real members, have anything to add to this general discussion on fg?.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

.FG need to start formulating a meaningful programme foe reform of politics/governemnt; failure to start on that will be one of their weak links coming up to an election.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Economic credibility is the key to winning the next election. Nothing else matters. That's why FF are repeating their mantra about "taking tough decision" day in day out. They are hoping an upturn by 2012 will make them look like they know what they were doing all along.

FG must guard their own economic credibility like treasure. Nothing short-term or madcap should be allowed pass their lips. Nor should they pretend they have easy solutions and it would do them so harm at all to confront Labour from time to time.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast