Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should foreign forces be allowed to recruit here

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should foreign forces be allowed to recruit here

It is increasingly common to see advertisments for the Royal navy before films in cinemas, to see the national print carrying professional opertunities in the various western armies. usually these are British adds, but they also come from Canada, and the USA.

So should forign armed forces recruit in Ireland?
    S.Behan

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure, freedom of the movement of labour and all that.

Default Re: Should foreign forces be allowed to recruit here

[quote="Harpey"]It is increasingly common to see advertisments for the Royal navy before films in cinemas, to see the national print carrying professional opertunities in the various western armies. usually these are British adds, but they also come from Canada, and the USA.

quote]

Why are you interested in joining one of them ?.

I didn't think it was possible for a foreign national to join the American armed forces.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No ... if someone wanted to join a foreign military they can easily leave the country a join up there. And another think, do you think these non-Irish commanders would care about the safe return of Irish Citizen or the Political leaders, Irish deaths in Iraq wouldn’t affect the British government in the elections.

Outside Recruiting is taken away from people that would normally join Irish Military.

I think there would probably be difficulties preventing EU states from advertising in the Irish market.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    No ... if someone wanted to join a foreign military they can easily leave the country a join up there. And another think, do you think these non-Irish commanders would care about the safe return of Irish Citizen or the Political leaders, Irish deaths in Iraq wouldn’t affect the British government in the elections.
    Could you possibly rephrase that? I didn't really follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    Outside Recruiting is taken away from people that would normally join Irish Military.
    So?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't think it was possible for a foreign national to join the American armed forces.
    you have to be a citizen to join the US Marine Corps (though Irish citizens have gotten through the cracks, then later acquired US citizenship), but the US Army and US Navy only require citizenship for officers.

As for the Royal Navy recruiting in Ireland: I don't think ads on tv or before movies in the cinema really counts as recruiting. I think legal issues would only arise if they actually had recruitment centres inside the 26 county state, but I could be wrong about that. The Brits don't have any enlisted/officer citzenship distinction, but certain parts of the Royal Navy, such as serving aboard nuclear submarines, is not available to non-citizens.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Should foreign forces be allowed to recruit here

Quote Originally Posted by padraig
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpey
    It is increasingly common to see advertisments for the Royal navy before films in cinemas, to see the national print carrying professional opertunities in the various western armies. usually these are British adds, but they also come from Canada, and the USA.

quote]

Why are you interested in joining one of them ?.

No i thought I just might pose the question. Personally I believe it to be wrong.
    S.Behan

And another think, do you think these non-Irish commanders would care about the safe return of Irish Citizen or the Political leaders, Irish deaths in Iraq wouldn’t affect the British government in the elections.
    that is an argument being used against, say, the Nepalese Gurkha regiments in the British Army: the British Government is more willing to deploy them to conflicts they don't really care about, such as East Timor, when they wouldn't be too keen on losing 'British' soldiers, owing to possible political fallout.

On the other hand, I don't think a few thousand Irishmen spread across the entire American Armed Forces is going to influence Washington's decision making.

That isn't really true. The Irish Defence Forces have never had anything approaching a recruitment shortage. Its not as if the Brits or the Americans would be taking away individuals who otherwise might fill vital posts in the Irish Army.

(though they may have been granted citizenship the minute they stepped off the boat, in exchange for enlisting)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I think attempting to recruiting mercinaries should be illegal and I think ads for the British armed forces count as just that.

Nice pic above btw. I believe there was in the region of 200,000 Irish men who fought in the US Civil war? Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier
    Personally, I think attempting to recruiting mercinaries should be illegal and I think ads for the British armed forces count as just that.
    Why? If people want to be mercenaries, why shouldn't they be allowed to be?

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast