Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UN: Ulster-Scots language doesn't exist

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UN: Ulster-Scots language doesn't exist

The UNESCO world atlas of endangered languages makes no mention of Ulster-Scots:
    http://cms01.unesco.org/fileadmin/MU...p-20090218.pdf
    According to the atlas, Irish is mildly endangered, and Manx Gaelic and Cornish are both officially extinct.
    But despite the utter rarity of Ulster-Scots speakers (an EU delegation failed to find any) no comment is made by UNESCO on how endangered Ulster-Scots is - because they do not recognise it as a language.
    Further proof, if proof were needed at this point, that Ulster-Scots is a scam created by perverts, bigots and chancers to extort money from the British and Irish governments.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

UNESCO are clearly a nest of sectarian papists.
    itís the continuing series of small tragedies, that send a man to the, madhouse

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    The UNESCO world atlas of endangered languages makes no mention of Ulster-Scots:
    http://cms01.unesco.org/fileadmin/MU...p-20090218.pdf
    According to the atlas, Irish is mildly endangered, and Manx Gaelic and Cornish are both officially extinct.
    But despite the utter rarity of Ulster-Scots speakers (an EU delegation failed to find any) no comment is made by UNESCO on how endangered Ulster-Scots is - because they do not recognise it as a language.
    Further proof, if proof were needed at this point, that Ulster-Scots is a scam created by perverts, bigots and chancers to extort money from the British and Irish governments.
    Agree, but is not the whole entity false, created to ensure that our neighbour maintains a foothold here? And as I have said before , the real victims are those that brand themselves as 'loyalists' and than must ingest a large capacity to hate other human beings so as to reinforce the seige mentality that fosters division and difference. In the process they limit their own capacity to enjoy life to the full.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've no problem accepting the reality of an Ulster-Scots identity. It would be foolish to deny reality. Nor do I seek to denigrate the real and legitimate heritage and achievement of the Ulster-Scots people. It's a heritage I'd like to see them re-attach themselves to, rather than persist in the ongoing fiction of being British when they clearly aren't.
    But I do object to funding this scam of a spoof language. The EU could find no speakers, the UN doesn't consider it a language at all. When are they going to have the funding pulled on this farce?
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    I've no problem accepting the reality of an Ulster-Scots identity. It would be foolish to deny reality. Nor do I seek to denigrate the real and legitimate heritage and achievement of the Ulster-Scots people. It's a heritage I'd like to see them re-attach themselves to, rather than persist in the ongoing fiction of being British when they clearly aren't.
    But I do object to funding this scam of a spoof language. The EU could find no speakers, the UN doesn't consider it a language at all. When are they going to have the funding pulled on this farce?
    Now what I read about it was that some British Civil Servants on their arts council who were interested in the promotion/funding of Irish Language projects provided some funding for the ulster-scots language as a way of evading acusations of bias against the loyalist community. Basically they recognised that its bogus but they provide them some money to stop them kicking up a fuss at the funding given to the Irish language.

Is this really the case? It seems logical.
    itís the continuing series of small tragedies, that send a man to the, madhouse

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shutuplaura View Post
    Now what I read about it was that some British Civil Servants on their arts council who were interested in the promotion/funding of Irish Language projects provided some funding for the ulster-scots language as a way of evading acusations of bias against the loyalist community. Basically they recognised that its bogus but they provide them some money to stop them kicking up a fuss at the funding given to the Irish language.

Is this really the case? It seems logical.
    Pretty much. Although no one will overtly admit it is a farce for fear of facing queries like my own as to why they are still funding it.
    The full backstory on the origins of this scam, and how some chancers used the Good Friday Agreement to make millions, can be found here:
    Skin Flicks: The Ulster-Scots Scam
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are they still trying to push an accent as a language?

When I read this, I truly wonder if I want a United Ireland if it means having to share it with wet brained retards who will go to any lengths to disavow any links to being Irish.

Sad, pathetic, stupid and ridiculous - no wonder the DUP is the dominant Unionist party full of flat earth, vicious idiots.

More made up languages (accents) coming:

Ireland
    Cavanish
    Dundalkian
    Corkonian
    Healy-Raeish (linguists are still at odds as to whether this is a language or an actual medical condition caused by trying to talk approximately 6 months worth of insincere sh*te in 60 seconds)
    Dublinneese

In the UK
    Manc/Mancunian
    Scouseese
    Cockneyish
    Geordiann
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Yola?

Never mind Ulster Scots, what the hell is Yola?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yola is an extinct West Germanic language formerly spoken in Ireland. A branch of Middle English, it evolved separately among the English (known as the Old English) who followed the Norman barons Strongbow and Robert Fitzstephen to eastern Ireland in 1169.

Mad!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guangzhoutom View Post

Yola is an extinct West Germanic language formerly spoken in Ireland. A branch of Middle English, it evolved separately among the English (known as the Old English) who followed the Norman barons Strongbow and Robert Fitzstephen to eastern Ireland in 1169.

Mad!
    I vaguely remember reading something at one stage in the local rag about "Fingalian", a language once spoken in Fingal. So after a quick search..

Fingalian: Information from Answers.com
    "Fingalian is an extinct language spoken by the people of Fingal, an area to the north of Dublin. It is similar to the Yola language, and the two (both of which became extinct in the mid-1800s) are often referred to as a single language, "Yola and Fingalian".
    Fingalian is usually regarded as a dialect of Old English, but it could be a vestige of the Old Norse spoken by the Viking settlers of Fingal."

There were apparantly some odd words still spoken in rural Fingal until relatively recently which could be traced back to it, but no doubt the population explosion of the last few years will have killed off whatever may have been left of it.

Certainly more of a language than Ulster Scots could ever aspire to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guangzhoutom View Post

Mad!
    why are schools not teaching yola?? this is a disgrace it has as much right to be taught as irish.... and latin....
    Economic Left/Right: -3.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast