Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: The "Screamers" on Innisfree

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default The "Screamers" on Innisfree

    Remember the group of English feminists who set up a group
    on Innisfree years ago? They were called "the Screamers" due to
    the fact they practiced a therapy which involved reenacting traumatic
    moments in their lives. Does anyone here have any memories of them?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yes, I remember them. They had a house in Burtonport and then moved to Inishfree Island and then built a boat to sail to Brasil or somewhere. Led by a lady Jenny somebody or other. Attracted a lot of attention. Probably nobody would back an eyelid nowadays.

    Why do you ask?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Perhaps he heard a distant echo...

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastPaddy View Post
    Yes, I remember them. They had a house in Burtonport and then moved to Inishfree Island and then built a boat to sail to Brasil or somewhere. Led by a lady Jenny somebody or other. Attracted a lot of attention. Probably nobody would back an eyelid nowadays.

    Why do you ask?
    I was curious. There was an article in one of the papers about them
    a few years ago.

    Also, a friend of mine used to work in the unemployment office in Cork, and
    he told me a woman who'd been associated with the Screamers used to
    come there every so often.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastPaddy View Post
    Yes, I remember them. They had a house in Burtonport and then moved to Inishfree Island and then built a boat to sail to Brasil or somewhere. Led by a lady Jenny somebody or other. Attracted a lot of attention. Probably nobody would back an eyelid nowadays.

    Why do you ask?
    I remember being warned not to go near the big house in Burtonport. Is the house still there pretty much as it was in the 70s? I was back there a couple of years ago and pretty sure I remembered which house it was. Big blue house on the right as you go down?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yes, there was a thing about them on TV a while back. They were into primal scream therapy, led by a British chap called Sid Rawnlins, I think his name was. John Lennon originally donated money for them to set up on the island! Not a lot of people know that...

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Catalpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    10,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I remember a naked woman was pulled from the Sea by local fishermen off their island after she fled from captivity there...

    I'm sure they still tell stories about that 'catch' anyway!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Weren't we very tolerant in those days all the same.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lao-Tse View Post
    I was curious. There was an article in one of the papers about them
    a few years ago.

    Also, a friend of mine used to work in the unemployment office in Cork, and
    he told me a woman who'd been associated with the Screamers used to
    come there every so often.
    I think there was a guy from Cork involved with them as well at one stage. I think local people were fairly wary of them. Some of the women used to dress in calico and wear what could be termed heavy workmenlike boots.

    I seem to recall that a couple of members of their community had a dispute with some foreign gay guys who also had property on the island and it ended up in the local district court, with charges of assault or something but not 100% sure about that.

    Probably a lot more screamers at the unemployment offices these days! But who could blame them I suppose!

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    I remember a naked woman was pulled from the Sea by local fishermen off their island after she fled from captivity there...

    I'm sure they still tell stories about that 'catch' anyway!
    I remember my folks warning us that we would be kidnapped and made to scream all day (mightn't have noticed any change) if we went too close. I always assumed there was nothing to the story.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •