Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for SF to do the unthinkable?

Default Time for SF to do the unthinkable?

Looking at today's election result, one thing is clear. While the parties of the left have generally had a good day, SF are likely to lose their only MEP in this country and will be very lucky to hold the council seats that they won five years ago. This comes at a time when the electorate is looking for any alternative to FF. The very gradual decline seen in the 2007 election now continues and it's hard to see SF ever regaining the momentum that they had up to five years ago.

Is the party tainted for the Republic's electorate by the SF leadership's role in the IRA terrorist campaign, that sullied the name of Ireland for decades? Meanwhile in Northern Ireland, the party is likely to top a poll for the first time (thanks in no small part to Unionist apathy). Has the time come for SF to do the unthinkable, and split into two parties? One that can go in Northern Ireland, where the electorate is a lot less squeamish and one that can find a leadership, born and raised in the Republic, with no blood on their hands?
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Looking at today's election result, one thing is clear. While the parties of the left have generally had a good day, SF are likely to lose their only MEP in this country and will be very lucky to hold the council seats that they won five years ago. This comes at a time when the electorate is looking for any alternative to FF. The very gradual decline seen in the 2007 election now continues and it's hard to see SF ever regaining the momentum that they had up to five years ago.

Is the party tainted for the Republic's electorate by the SF leadership's role in the IRA terrorist campaign, that sullied the name of Ireland for decades? Meanwhile in Northern Ireland, the party is likely to top a poll for the first time (thanks in no small part to Unionist apathy). Has the time come for SF to do the unthinkable, and split into two parties? One that can go in Northern Ireland, where the electorate is a lot less squeamish and one that can find a leadership, born and raised in the Republic, with no blood on their hands?
    No.

1. First off, you are too gloomy. Sinn Féin have held up their vote and we have yet to see what the totals are-the exit polls show Sinn Féin growing its vote share from 2004 in each election (Euro and locals). This is an amazing achievement because it means that Sinn Féin has grown its vote share at each and every like for like election in the 26 counties since the 1980s!

2. The issue of the MEP is not yet determined, we will have to wait and see but Mary Lou still stands a good chance-that's an amazing achievement because remember that only a few weeks ago it was assumed by even the most enthusiastic Sinn Féin supporter that the FACT that Dublin constituency had gone from 4 to 3 seats would make the MEP seat impossible to retain.

3. Sinn Fein is not looking for unsustainably fast growth, like the here today gone tomorrow growth of FG. Rather the aim is steady sustainable growth, little by little. Republicans take a long term view.
    Last edited by factual; 6th June 2009 at 09:39 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

i dont think its the past. i believe its the lack of good candidates, [ sinn fein will poll better in the euros because of the quality of the candidates] outdated and authoritarian leadership, failure to address mass immigration amongst other things.
    Remember there was the likes of frank aiken and many other men that ended up td's that had blood on their hands and not just the ole clean ambush a few tans blood, yet they remained in power for years.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

About as much chance as Ian Paisley converting to Catholicism. However your point is a valid one - SF is basically seen as a Northern party with a Northern agenda, largely divorced from the everyday realities down South. However the North is their raison d'etre, without it they might as well be a better-funded versi.on of the Labour Party.

Politics.ie Member JollyRedGiant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to say - looking at many of the local counts in - I am surprised how poorly SF did. Take Clare for example - total in the entire council elections 161 votes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think those who would never vote SF, will still never vote for them whether they are rebranded as "New SF" in the South or not. Many are still not convinced that paramilitary links have completely ceased, and that associations with criminality no longer exist. The money laundering for the Northern Bank comes to mind and other dodgy goings on on the part of SF/IRA supporters. The continued reluctance of Toireasa Ferris to condemn the Adare murders is a case in point. As long as that ambivalence to violence and murder continues, ordinary voters will avoid them like the plague.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    i dont think its the past. i believe its the lack of good candidates, [ sinn fein will poll better in the euros because of the quality of the candidates] outdated and authoritarian leadership, failure to address mass immigration amongst other things.
    Remember there was the likes of frank aiken and many other men that ended up td's that had blood on their hands and not just the ole clean ambush a few tans blood, yet they remained in power for years.
    Remember Cosgrave in the 70's, it didn't do him any harm
    Fianna Fáil
    The Land agents party.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRedGiant View Post
    I have to say - looking at many of the local counts in - I am surprised how poorly SF did. Take Clare for example - total in the entire council elections 161 votes.
    Are you sure? I thought that I heard a report on radio today that some SF candidate in Clare had done very well getting 11% of the vote. I don't recall his name.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eorna View Post
    Remember Cosgrave in the 70's, it didn't do him any harm
    Not with you. in relation to his hand in the dublin monaghan murders or something he did before?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    I think those who would never vote SF, will still never vote for them whether they are rebranded as "New SF" in the South or not. Many are still not convinced that paramilitary links have completely ceased, and that associations with criminality no longer exist. The money laundering for the Northern Bank comes to mind and other dodgy goings on on the part of SF/IRA supporters. The continued reluctance of Toireasa Ferris to condemn the Adare murders is a case in point. As long as that ambivalence to violence and murder continues, ordinary voters will avoid them like the plague.
    That's about the size of it.
    "In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia."
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast