Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TUI call for rejection of Social Partnership deal

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default TUI call for rejection of Social Partnership deal

The leadership of the TUI have called for the rejection of the recently negotiated social partnership deal.

What will be the effect (if any) on the process if this call is successful and the TUI membership votes "No"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: TUI call for rejection of Social Partnership deal

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    The leadership of the TUI have called for the rejection of the recently negotiated social partnership deal.

What will be the effect (if any) on the process if this call is successful and the TUI membership votes "No"?
    Firstly, it's not much of a surprise, welcome though it is.

The TUI has traditionally been to the left of the ASTI and th INTO.

Secondly, its effect will be fairly limited. The TUI is the smallest of the three teaching unions with about 12,000 members. It's a morale boost for anti-partnership trade unionists, but unless the ASTI, or preferably the ASTI and INTO join in, then it's not a critical mass.

Lastly, the decision will be taken at an ICTU delegate conference in September. Realistically, SIPTU is so big that unless every single other union in the state ganged up on them if SIPTU votes for it, then it will pass.

The affect that Mandate members will have on a lot of Siptu members shouldn't be underestimated.

The more unions and union members that are against the deal will mean that it will be in for a bumpy ride from the start.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: TUI call for rejection of Social Partnership deal

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    I would disagree with cain1798 on two counts- I think rejection by the TUI would have a considerable impact and I don't think they are snubbing social partnership (that's the ASTI's game). Rather, their problems are with the terms of the current agreement, not the idea of social partnership.

I find opposition to social partnership misguided and often immature in an anti-establishment-for-its-own-sake sort of a way. It's being led by a few academics that want to stand out from the crowd, and a few employers enganged in a game of pure cynicism.

If the TUI do turn down the deal, it sets a precedent for other unions. And though the TUI may be relatively small compared to the larger unions, it is not a small union on the wider scale and it is a well respected and influential one. More is going on here than meets the eye.
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are they opposing the deal?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[Post Deleted]
    "Rats as big as Cats"

J.H.R. and the Power of the Soundbite

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone
    See page 4 of today's Irish Times. RTÉ's coverage is rather inadequate.

The gist is that they are being asked to accept a pay rise solely pegged to deal with inflation (10% over 27 months) yet it is conditioned on them accepting new responsibilities and work loads due to new legislation- in effect more work for the same money.

Also, the deal is conditional on them fulfilling their obligations under the new legislation but not the government providing the resources at its end. Similar to when roads were given new safety measures but with no additional funding to allow for them.

But overall, I feel it is opposition based upon teachers no longer being taken seriously on issues of education policy and just being bought off to fulfil government policies that are ill thought out. But that's just my opinion.
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by St Disibod
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone
    See page 4 of today's Irish Times. RTÉ's coverage is rather inadequate.

The gist is that they are being asked to accept a pay rise solely pegged to deal with inflation (10% over 27 months) yet it is conditioned on them accepting new responsibilities and work loads due to new legislation- in effect more work for the same money.

Also, the deal is conditional on them fulfilling their obligations under the new legislation but not the government providing the resources at its end. Similar to when roads were given new safety measures but with no additional funding to allow for them.

But overall, I feel it is opposition based upon teachers no longer being taken seriously on issues of education policy and just being bought off to fulfil government policies that are ill thought out. But that's just my opinion.
    So more work for the same amount of money? When they are already not being paid enough?

Yeh I'd be pissed at that too...

Social Partnership undermines the Dail and the democratic process. What's the voting for and what's the government for if policies are decided by arbitrary selected interest groups representing a minority of workforce, a minority of businesses and a small minority of voters?

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative Dubliner
    Social Partnership undermines the Dail and the democratic process. What's the voting for and what's the government for if policies are decided by arbitrary selected interest groups representing a minority of workforce, a minority of businesses and a small minority of voters?
    Don't the members of the government represent a small minority of voters?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast