Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirty beaches

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dirty beaches

This has been mentioned on the news today and yesterday, but when I went for a walk on the beach in Donabate yesterday evening, I was just gobsmacked at the state of the place after the bank holiday weekend.

Are we the dirtiest nation on the planet or what? Or is it just Dubliners, or Northsiders in particular? There was all kinds of rubbish from dirty nappies, to plastic bottles, and paper, just strewn everywhere and floating in the sea. There was even bags of neatly packed rubbish, just left there, obviously by people with some sense of environmental awareness, though sadly not enough.

I wasn't there over the weekend, but I got an impression of what it must have been like, as there was one car load of yobs, with the radio playing at max volume, drinking, roaring and shouting.

I don't know what the answer is. In one way, I think Fingal Co Co are right not to put bins on the beach. They'd never be able to cope with the load from a weekend like we just had, and it really isn't that unreasonable to expect people to take their rubbish home. But maybe the answer is to charge people a few euros to drive on to the beach and use the money to fund a proper service with waste collection, toilets etc.

Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The best is when they break the beer bottles and leave them in the sand. It takes a special breed of scumbag to do that. They should be made pick up the shards with their arse cheeks...

Good idea about the charges though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whats fingal co council got to do with it, do they employ a lot of dirty beeches ?
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Politics.ie Member Upper Chamber's Avatar
    Living amongst the common people, 'The soil, the soil!'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with the above. There are no civic values in this country. People assume they have the RIGHT to be as obnoxious, loud and stupid as they please. Proscute them to the fullest extent of the law, seize their property to pay for damage/clean ups. Anyone who breaks glass in order to cut or slash a person (even a child) who might step on it should face assault charges.
    Might help if the Gardai waddled out of their cars and enforced the law.

Default Dirty Beaches

Finally, someone is discussing this. I am continuously amazed by the way Irish people ignore rubbish and litter their environment. In my home town of Bray there are little bins and bags made available on the sea front for people to pick up after their dogs and yet the promenade is full of dog poop. A few weeks ago, I watched a woman pull into her driveway on the Sidmonton Road (a very nice address), look at three beer cans that had been tossed over the wall into her garden, take a broom and sweep the cans out into the public pavement. Would it have killed her to pick them up and put them in her re-cycling bin standing outside the front door? And don't even get me started on the number of smokers who think it's acceptable to put a butt on the ground, step on it and leave it there. It's embarrassing and shameful.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tayto View Post
    The best is when they break the beer bottles and leave them in the sand. It takes a special breed of scumbag to do that. They should be made pick up the shards with their arse cheeks...
    Wouldn't disagree with the punishment there. I was at Benone strand, Co. Derry today with the wee one. It was not bad at all considering, but when we ventured into the dunes towards a path that leads to the visitor centre, we had to go back for footwear as there was glass everywhere. No amount of council cleansing could solve that problem. What irked me the most was at one point, someone had taken the time to wedge chards of broken beer bottle in a line accross the path which was constructed from wooden planks.

As an aside, the visitor centre was closed? Only opens at the weekend until July. Weird.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TBQH, there are more important things to be worrying about than dirty feckin beaches. Still, will keep the moratorium journos busy (that, along with exams cock-up).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wexfordman View Post
    Whats fingal co council got to do with it?
    Eh.... They are responsible for managing the beaches in .... Fingal

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And don't even get me started on the number of smokers who think it's acceptable to put a butt on the ground, step on it and leave it there. It's embarrassing and shameful.
    Even worse, ever see the people who just tip the ash tray from their car straight out the window? I've often had to hold myself back from dumping the butts straight back in. Hanging's too good etc....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    Eh.... They are responsible for managing the beaches in .... Fingal
    Sorry, I was trying to be funny, obviously not hard enough

I was going to go further, but feared bad taste might take over, particularly with taytos ref to picking up shards of glass with thier arse cheeks.

Dirty Beeches picking up shards of glass with thier arse cheeks...... so on and so on.

Obviously me having to explain it says more aobut my sense of humour that anyone elses!!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast