Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: Should Flannery go?

Voters
86. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • No

63 73.26%
  • Yes

23 26.74%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flannery should Go - Today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Flannery should Go - Today

Its is alll very well for Flannery to be involved in candidate selection, however when he strays into the world of policy making he is getting far too big for his boots. Flannery believes he is Fine Gael.
    Well he is not, he is an unelected advisor. His advice , which he gave to the Mail regarding coalition with Sinn Fein, is unacceptable. Enda should sack him, demote him or otherwise create distance from him. He should do it today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fgrep View Post
    Its is alll very well for Flannery to be involved in candidate selection, however when he strays into the world of policy making he is getting far too big for his boots. Flannery believes he is Fine Gael.
    Well he is not, he is an unelected advisor. His advice , which he gave to the Mail regarding coalition with Sinn Fein, is unacceptable. Enda should sack him, demote him or otherwise create distance from him. He should do it today.
    Magnificent display of self righteous indignation.

Whatever it is that Enda should do I am sure he will but that does not mean that he will sack. Flannery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Flannery is there to throw ideas like that out, he is only performing a function. He kept FG as the top news story all day yesterday and probably today as well. There is no such thing as bad publicity 5-6 days before an election.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by topcat4 View Post
    Flannery is there to throw ideas like that out, he is only performing a function. He kept FG as the top news story all day yesterday and probably today as well. There is no such thing as bad publicity 5-6 days before an election.
    I think you will find that this will backfire on FG.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post
    I think you will find that this will backfire on FG.
    Why do you say that KN. I hope you are wrong. We will lose some 1st preference votes but we may now stand to get some SF 2nd preferences.

I personally think there is something behind this by FG. Flannery ain't that stupid. I think personally they are looking for and need SF second prefernces to bring Donohue home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the numbers were right they would do it. Let's not kid ourselves. But given the demise of FF it's hard to see how it could even be an issue.

This is a real test of Kenny's leadership. If he lets Flannery stay, it's endorsing Flannery's position. This is not playing well with FG's core supporters.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe not as far fetched as one might think.

FG cut a deal with Clan na Poblachta in the 40s and neither side batted an eyelid...

TBH though its a long way down the road IMO

I don't think Kenny would cut a deal with SF that involved Cabinet seats anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fgrep View Post
    I think it was a strange thing by Flannery to do - but he is entitled to publish opinions under his own name, and to date he has shown very good judgement.

This is one event & calling for an immediate resignation here seems hasty, and one wonders at your motives

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think Enda Kenny is going to be panicked into sacking him. That would be insane. It's one thing to have a policy but quite another to say nobody is entitled to express an opinion on it.

We have far more serious business to do next Thursday than indulging in teacup storms over highly unlikely scenarios.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast