Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm pro-abortion: Sinn Fein EP candidate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I'm pro-abortion: Sinn Fein EP candidate

Listening online to the Mike Reid show on LMFM (broadcast Friday at 10) I was shocked to hear Sinn Fein candidate for the East Thomas Sharkey affirm that he is pro-abortion and favours abortion being introduced into Ireland. He tried to avoid answering directly but due to Reid's persistence he eventually made his position completely clear. The only reason he equivocated was because "51% of your listeners are more concerned than I would be". He also stated that Sinn Fein has no policy "fixed in stone on this issue" which really means that Sinn Fein is pro-abortion as it always has been but like Sharkey it recognises that it is out of synch with the Irish public on this issue and therefore is more reluctant to state its views plainly publicly.

I'd imagine that the majority of Sinn Fein supporters in the Cavan and Monaghan area where LMFM reaches would be opposed to both Sharkey and Sinn Fein's attitude to abortion. Being part of the North West they should vote for NW candidate Ganley instead of Sinn Fein's Pádraig Mac Lochlainn if they care about this issue. Ganley was also on the show and stated that he is 100% pro-life and favours Irish people being able to decide for themselves on this issue (Sharkey spoke glowingly of how EU legislation facilitates the procurement of abortion by Irish women overseas).

Voting Sinn Fein means choosing the abortion agenda. Wavering Sinn Fein supporters who favour life should support Libertas.
    What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, we were able to give cover to the catholic church for abuse for 60 years, whats the big difference 100,000 s of women going to England to cover our shame,Congratulations to that person for their honesty if we are not honest with ourselves we will not be honest with anybody else, We Have had to much religion all it it has done is to sweep our dirt under the carpet

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sinn Fein have never been obsessed with the right to life.

Fair play to Sharky for stating his opinion honestly on this though. Not my opinion but makes me more likely to transfer to SF as I despise the rank dishonesty of some of those in the main parties that hide their opinions.

I admire this candidate for his honesty, a trait sadly lacking in Ganley when it comes to sources of funding, etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"pro-abortion" - I think not. In favour of women's rights to make that decision in some circumstances, perhaps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm no fan of Sinn Féin - but I'm not much of a fan of people who bash candidates for being pro or anti Abortion. And because one candidate says he personally supports abortion, you're going to condemn his entire party?

It's simply not an issue for these elections. There's been referenda on it - and the situation isn't changing on abortion at this time. EU law, despite what Ganley and others have suggested, cannot compel Ireland to legalise abortion within the State.

I'm pro-choice in the sense that I believe it's nobody's business but those involved. I have always said to people who ask me my own views that abortion should be down to the individual parents, whose lives are the ones who are fundamentaly going to be affected by the issue. It's for their conscience to decide what to do, and to deal with the consequences of their decision either way. Neither church nor state should play any part in that decision.

Ultimately, I am glad the SF candidate has given his views on this - but I can't understand why it would be relevant for these elections.
    "The fact that some posters here are better informed than a lot of our political reps, on economic matters, scares the bejesus out of them." limericklady

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm no fan of SF either, but at least they've run an honest campaign without the cynical mud-slinging we've seen from some others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He wasn't being honest. He shrouded his view on abortion and whether or not it should be available in Ireland in ambiguity and obfuscation. He mirrored Sinn Fein tactics in attempting to finesse the issue for political gain but was forced into a concession after the question was repeated three or four times.
    What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being pro-abortion means being pro-mass immigration. You vote for abortion and you will eventually get population replacement immigration policies.

Have always found it funny how these types refuse to endorse abortion in continents with vastly higher fertility rates than Ireland. Its like they don't like the idea of Irish people having kids or something, weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not just his personal view. Sinn Fein are not opposed to abortion. Sharkey just admitted what was official policy until SF discovered they were out of synch with the majority of Irish people on this issue. He even made SF's attitude clear, "They have no fixed position": in other words their attitude depends on its political expediency not on principle.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast