Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Far Right to make gains in Euros - Establishment crying wolf again?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Far Right to make gains in Euros - Establishment crying wolf again?

Anti-immigrant and Europhobic ? far right parties ride populist wave | Politics | The Guardian

Anti-immigrant and Europhobic far right parties ride populist wave

Interesting article by Ian Traynor re the potential gains for the extreme parties on the left and right across Europe due to the perfect storm of the economic crash added to a low turnout on polling day. There are some scary dudes out there.. none more so than this bunch from Hungary Jobbik.com - The Movement For A Better Hungary

I know similar claims are made at each euro election and at this stage the accusation that the "elites" (copyright of futuretaoiseach) are crying wolf yet again in order to stir up some interest. This time I fear they may have a point.

He also mentions a new caucus in the parliament being lead by the British Conservatives called funnily enough the European Conservatives.

The caucus will be to the right of the Christian Democrats.. will this as opposed to the ELDR, become the natural home for Fianna Fail?

In another Guardian article Henry McDonald is stating that Ireland is moving in the other direction:

Ireland set to say yes to Europe as change is in the air | World news | The Guardian

Ireland is going to buck political trends with a high turnout and the two mainstream opposition parties that support EU reform Fine Gael and Labour coming out on top.
    But he would say that wouldn't he?
    Last edited by Verhofstadt; 28th May 2009 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    Anti-immigrant and Europhobic ? far right parties ride populist wave | Politics | The Guardian

Anti-immigrant and Europhobic far right parties ride populist wave

This time I fear they may have a point.
    Ah yes the old "far right" label. Anyone who doesn't toe the line is labeled as some kind of nasty nazi type. In reality people like Gert Wilders are labeled far right as well as the BNP even though they are completely different policies. I hope the far right do spectacularly well, not because I like racists and xenophobes, but for the jolt it will give the stultifying cosy consensus in the EU. When people are ignored, belittled, sneered at and generally treated as sheep they will react.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jobbik.com - The Movement For A Better Hungary

Thanks for the link, I will be rooting for these guys. They are dead right, foolish Hungarians worried about Georgia and they after getting a good ass kicking themaselves from the Rooskies a few years ago.

Oink Oink Oink

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Historically, the Far Left killed even more people than the Far Right yet we don't see the elites hyperventilating at the prospect of them performing well or entering govt - unlike the hysterical hype surrounding the entry into govt of the Austrian Freedom Party in 2000. Totalitarianism should be equally disapproved of irrespective of whether it lies on the Left or Right of the political-spectrum. However, I reject the implication of that article that eurosceptics are uniformly 'Far Right', and I second Clanrickard's sentiments. Let's shock the elites into listening to public concerns with the EU's democratic-deficit.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remind me FutureTaoiseach - who are these elites who don't include the far right ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The elites are the old fogies who are the traditional ruling-classes of Europe.

ah but lib dems and tory back the treaty too at the end of the day.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hysteria about the "far right" has been floated so many times before i cant take it seriously. However this time there are some dangerous fringe groups like the BNP going to do well. Personally i blame the loyalty of the political classes to brussels over their own people that has caused extreme groups to get an audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    ah but lib dems and tory back the treaty too at the end of the day.
    The Tories most certainly do not back the Treaty. They are promising a referendum on it in the UK if it hasn't come into force by the time they get into govt. Indeed, William Hague, their Shadow Foreign Secretary has suggested that even if it comes into force, they may put it to a referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach View Post
    The Tories most certainly do not back the Treaty. They are promising a referendum on it in the UK if it hasn't come into force by the time they get into govt. Indeed, William Hague, their Shadow Foreign Secretary has suggested that even if it comes into force, they may put it to a referendum.
    hmm i bet they'd be delighted if it was fixed before they get in.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast