Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivana Bacik says she's not the only non-DubCentral resident running in Dublin Central

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ivana Bacik says she's not the only non-DubCentral resident running in Dublin Central

Last week I posted a few pictures from Dublin Central, where I commented on how many of the Labour local election posters had "Vote Local" stickers.

http://www.politics.ie/labour/70376-...-election.html

An hour ago, Ivana Bacik posted a message on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana Bacik
    Why have no journalists asked Maurice Aherne about the fact that he lives in Malahide, and not in Dublin Central?
    Senator Bacik does have a point, Maurice Ahern doesn't live in the area, however, it's also worth noting that Senator Bacik's comment does in some part acknowledge that a candidate in an election should live in the area, right? Also it seems a question she must be getting asked alot.

How desperate is Bacik? Ahern has spent of his life in the constiuency and is already an elected representative in the area. Bacik is a total blow-in who's only previous visits to DC were related to her highly paid legal career.

By highlighting this, she just reminds everyone that she has been parachuted into the constituency and isn't wanted there (even by members of the Labour party).
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reminds me of Conor lenihan on arguing with the principal of Old Bawn School about cuts. Hard to take him seriously when as Td for the area he would never live in tallaght or send his Kids to Old bawn Community school. Easy to preach to the peasants from the Ivory tower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    By highlighting this, she just reminds everyone that she has been parachuted into the constituency and isn't wanted there (even by members of the Labour party).
    Ivana was unanimously selected. if members of the labour party wanted someone else, someone else would have sought the nomination. Go out and see her canvass any night, loads of Dublin Central members, and indeed members of the party from across dublin are out campaigning for her.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a true story:

When someone asked Bacik what links she had with Dublin Central, she said that she used to work in the Four Courts.

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist about this. It would be more imprtant that the candidate is good for the country, not just the area. It is up to the locals to decide and if they think it isn't an issue, then it isn't. But we all know what the folks on the ground say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caminoed View Post
    Ivana was unanimously selected. if members of the labour party wanted someone else, someone else would have sought the nomination. Go out and see her canvass any night, loads of Dublin Central members, and indeed members of the party from across dublin are out campaigning for her.
    This might be true but how that looks to constituents is that you Represent the party one not the voters. I have always had total respect for Pat Rabitte in this regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    Senator Bacik does have a point, Maurice Ahern doesn't live in the area, however, it's also worth noting that Senator Bacik's comment does in some part acknowledge that a candidate in an election should live in the area, right?
    Well no. If she were critical of Maurice Ahern for not living in the area, then she'd be making that acknowledgement; but she isn't. She just seems to be pointing out the fact that, while the media may have picked up on her residency outside the constituency, it's ignoring that of other candidates. For some reason.
    Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

journalist have asked
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slow news day David?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast