Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finglas/Ballymun

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Finglas/Ballymun

As one of the few wards without a thread on the list ... here goes

There are 5 seats here now compared to 4 in Finglas and 3 in Ballymun last time (but some of the Ballymun area has been lost) . There are also 5 outgoing councillors contesting - the 4 Finglas councillors (Liam Kelly, FF, Bill Tormey FG, John Lyons LAB, Dessie Ellis SF) and contesting along with the outgoing SF cllr from Ballymun.

Could this area return 2 Sinn Fein councillors - if it did would it be the first one in Dublin to do so? Labour have a second candidate but he came into the race very late so not sure they would be expecting to take a second seat. Bill Tormey is running on his own for FG.

FF have 3 candidates and an 'independent' ex FF candidate Conor Sludds who ran last time for FF but is independent this time. I'm not sure he'll poll that well but who knows.

FF have the high profile councillor Liam Kelly running for them although I thought at one stage he said he wasn't running. They also have Paul McAuliffe the ex PD who got over 1,000 votes in Finglas last time and Noel Ahern's assistant Niall McCullagh running too. Could either of them take the seat from Liam Kelly?

Think it will probably be 1 FF, 1 FG, 1 LB, 2 SF with an outside chance of a change in FF rep. Anyone any other predictions??

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't there no such thing as a Finglas/Ballymun ward now, or am I wrong...???

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora View Post
    Isn't there no such thing as a Finglas/Ballymun ward now, or am I wrong...???
    Yes to both [think about it!]
    FF & FG: Tweedledumb & Tweedledumber. 1 privatises TE, other will privatise ESB

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic75 View Post

FF have the high profile councillor Liam Kelly running for them
    Isn't there a comma after high?
    FF & FG: Tweedledumb & Tweedledumber. 1 privatises TE, other will privatise ESB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If my mother's door is anything to go by, FF are getting excoriated on the doorsteps.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic75 View Post
    As one of the few wards without a thread on the list ... here goes

There are 5 seats here now compared to 4 in Finglas and 3 in Ballymun last time (but some of the Ballymun area has been lost) . There are also 5 outgoing councillors contesting - the 4 Finglas councillors (Liam Kelly, FF, Bill Tormey FG, John Lyons LAB, Dessie Ellis SF) and contesting along with the outgoing SF cllr from Ballymun.

Could this area return 2 Sinn Fein councillors - if it did would it be the first one in Dublin to do so? Labour have a second candidate but he came into the race very late so not sure they would be expecting to take a second seat. Bill Tormey is running on his own for FG.

FF have 3 candidates and an 'independent' ex FF candidate Conor Sludds who ran last time for FF but is independent this time. I'm not sure he'll poll that well but who knows.

FF have the high profile councillor Liam Kelly running for them although I thought at one stage he said he wasn't running. They also have Paul McAuliffe the ex PD who got over 1,000 votes in Finglas last time and Noel Ahern's assistant Niall McCullagh running too. Could either of them take the seat from Liam Kelly?

Think it will probably be 1 FF, 1 FG, 1 LB, 2 SF with an outside chance of a change in FF rep. Anyone any other predictions??

Am very glad that the redrawn boundary puts me in Artane/Whitehall. If there was ever a field of candidates that I didn't like, you have them.

S.F. posters on Politics.ie are talking up the possibility of a second candidate being carried in on O'Toole's vote in my neck of the woods. Not realistic, just party hacks 'bigging it up'. O'Toole has a plenty big vote but S.F. vote management is usually so shocking bad it's hard to take seriously.

Any S.F. vote management between Corcoran & Ellis ?

Liam Kelly ! God, things need to be bad to leave the whip with him.

Default latest chatter

I here John Redmond is gaining ground and the new labour posters promoting both candidates indicate that they are looking for a second seat. If this happens it would be at the expense of FF or Ray corcoran of SF

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard III View Post
    I here John Redmond is gaining ground and the new labour posters promoting both candidates indicate that they are looking for a second seat. If this happens it would be at the expense of FF or Ray corcoran of SF
    I used to work with John Redmond and a few months ago he was pensioned off due to "ill health" if John can recover this quickly maybe he is the man to lead the country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Recently moved out of Finglas but was involved with the Resident's Committee in the area I lived in. The night after he missed out on becomming a TD, Dessie Ellis attended one of our meetings... he is a trojan worker on behalf of communities out there - a thoroughly great fella.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oscail View Post
    S.F. posters on Politics.ie are talking up the possibility of a second candidate being carried in on O'Toole's vote in my neck of the woods. Not realistic, just party hacks 'bigging it up'. O'Toole has a plenty big vote but S.F. vote management is usually so shocking bad it's hard to take seriously.
    Suppose I'd be one of those!

Seriously though this election will be the first attempt for O'Toole's crew to try and vote manage. The results in 2004 were unexpected and so no effort at all was made to manage the votes for the second candiates in Finglas and Cabra.

The place where is was attempted was Tallaght South where we thought we could get two seats. The two candidates polled within 300 votes of each other (2%) but we simply did not get enough votes to get both elected.

There is a very real, serious and selfless attempt to get Larry's vote shared so get Denise Mitchell elected. I have no idea if it will succeed, we will know on Saturday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast