Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Louise O'Keefe Case-Proof of the Govt real stance!

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    wexford
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Louise O'Keefe Case-Proof of the Govt real stance!

    We have listened to all the rhetoric and the lip service apology from Bertie, while he went and sold us short behind our backs.

    However, does the Louise O'Keefe case, on top of the failings of the HSE/State in the Roscommon case and the refusal of Govt to prioritise legislation for childrens rights go to show the real true colours of FF and this government and their actual blatant disregard for Child Welfare!! Look at the closure of the 3 wards in Crumlin now also!

    BACKGROUND
    A HIGH-COURT ruling, which had left an abuse victim facing a 500,000 legal bill, could have had major implications for other victims. Mother-of-two Ms Louise O'Keeffe (41) was abused by her primary school principal. But after taking a case against the state she was facing a legal costs bill of up to 500,000. The High Court found the State was not to blame for indecent assaults inflicted on her when she was eight. It also said the Minister for Education had no liability in relation to the assault.

    The abuser teacher, Leo Hickey, a former principal at Dunderrow National School, was sentenced to three years for the abuse he meted out to young girls in the 1970s. Ms O'Keeffe was awarded 54,000 in compensation by the Criminal Injuries Tribunal. But she subsequently took a High Court action against the State arguing that it was guilty of negligence in the matter

  2. #2

    Default

    The state (ie the taxpayer) cannot be held responsible for the act of every teacher in every school. The woman knew what she was getting into, and stil continued her vaxacious case. It comes down to personal repsobility for one's actions (both the teacher and Ms O'Keefe).
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member zakalwe1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    C'mon Team Ireland!!!!!
    Posts
    5,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    vexatious????

    she was indecently assaulted as an 8 y/o child. how is trying to get justice being vexatious?
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member carlovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    The state (ie the taxpayer) cannot be held responsible for the act of every teacher in every school. The woman knew what she was getting into, and stil continued her vaxacious case. It comes down to personal repsobility for one's actions (both the teacher and Ms O'Keefe).
    Keith, this post should be deleted.

    Read it again and delete it now !
    I believe that children are the future

    Unless we stop them now.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    The state (ie the taxpayer) cannot be held responsible for the act of every teacher in every school. The woman knew what she was getting into, and stil continued her vaxacious case. It comes down to personal repsobility for one's actions (both the teacher and Ms O'Keefe).
    Fully engage brain before typing please.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post
    vexatious????

    she was indecently assaulted as an 8 y/o child. how is trying to get justice being vexatious?
    She got her justice - her abuser is in jail. She then went on to try and make a few bob out it - and lost. Apparently she was repeatedly warned that she WOULD NOT win her case against the State but would win a case against the Diocese. However, she persisted in her case against the State in the vain hope of hitting a larger cash jackpot than would be available from the Diocese. This woman has cost the taxpayer (i.e. you and me) hundreds of thousands in doomed-to-fail attempts to extract cash from us. She should have been taken for every penny she owed the State.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carlovian View Post
    Keith, this post should be deleted.

    Read it again and delete it now !

    There's nothing wrong with what I posted. The woman chose to persue her vaxacious case against the state. She is responsible for her actions. Being a victim doesn't always make you right.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    There's nothing wrong with what I posted. The woman chose to persue her vaxacious case against the state. She is responsible for her actions. Being a victim doesn't always make you right.
    So who is right? the state? The (state employed) abuser? Of course she is in the right. I support her action for justice. We have seen state institutions cover up so much abuse - we all know it's a feckin scandal, and there may well have been negligence here - again still being covered up. Now we have another state bill for abuse - given to the abused!

    Maybe she should have just stayed quiet altogether?
    KetithM, I think it is a very unpopular viewpoint you are taking given the history of abuse in this country.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the klingon View Post
    So who is right? the state? The (state employed) abuser? Of course she is in the right. I support her action for justice. We have seen state institutions cover up so much abuse - we all know it's a feckin scandal, and there may well have been negligence here - again still being covered up. Now we have another state bill for abuse - given to the abused!

    Maybe she should have just stayed quiet altogether?
    KetithM, I think it is a very unpopular viewpoint you are taking given the history of abuse in this country.
    I whole heartedly agree but I have to say that the Green Party is a party to this as well.
    The Greens have far more influence than any single FF TD or Minister so it is a little puzzling why they escape being tarnished by incidents such as these.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie Tony_1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork City
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    The state (ie the taxpayer) cannot be held responsible for the act of every teacher in every school. The woman knew what she was getting into, and stil continued her vaxacious case. It comes down to personal repsobility for one's actions (both the teacher and Ms O'Keefe).
    That exactly the opposite of what our Minister for Finance said here:-
    Lenihan talks down prospect of new deal for abuse victims | BreakingNews.ie
    Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan says it is only right that the State take responsibility for compensating the victims of child abuse at state-run institutions.
    Lenihan says that while those who ran the institutions are responsible for what happened, it was the State's job to supervise their work.
    But we all know that the Government is much more interested in protecting the church than protecting its victims.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •