Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Adams delievers 'major speech'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Adams delievers 'major speech'.

Does the timing of whatever he has to say, election time, diminish its importance or relevance?
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

depends what he says, and the likely outcome. Am expecting fairly important speech though from what I was let in on last night
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Adams to deliver 'major speech'.

Quote Originally Posted by edifice.
    Does the timing of whatever he has to say, election time, diminish its importance or relevance?
    Debateable, but when would be a good time to make a statement. He did pre-empt this in Easter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    depends what he says, and the likely outcome. Am expecting fairly important speech though from what I was let in on last night
    Drop a few hints (Don't be a bo**ix all your life)

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edifice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    Drop a few hints (Don't be a bo**ix all your life)
    Edifice..

firstly my identity in here is fairly well known. If I dropped a few hints and was wrong, my credibility would be shot forever

secondly if some ************************er quoted me before general rel;ease time of the message, I'd get my arse kicked by HO.

I mean what can we expect that would actually move it on from where we are......

We're looking at the IRA standing down

We're looking at another major act of decommissioning. And, given the IRA offer for full decommissioning before christmas, anything less than full de-commissioning over a short time period is going to be disappointing.

We're looking at the calling of a special Ard Fheis to discuss SF taking their places on Policing Boards.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This will be a hugely significant speech and will challenge everybody.

The begrudgers will say that it is coming from a point of weakness but of course the reality is that despite the sustained and orchestrated attacks on Sinn Féin, that the growth in support for the party has survived all of this and has increased in 2 elections in the South and is set to increase further in the North in May.

This statement comes at a time when the political opponents of Sinn Féin are locked into a single stratgey of trying to defeat Irish Republicanism and doing everything possible to resist change.

Sinn Féin is deadly serious about the business of conflict resolution and will not allow the opponents of change to keep this process in crisis.

At times of crisis, Republicans have taken brave and imaginative initiatives to rescue this process and to continue to pursue our democratic objectives.

Todays statement will offer the hope of moving this process off the ground it has gotten stuck on. It will challenge others to respond. It will inject renewed momentum into the process.

Republicans are not going to allow those who wish to cling to the old failed status quo to squander this process.

We are seizing the initiative. Others must also meet the challenge of their responsibilities now and act positively to move this process forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellows

The begrudgers will say that it is coming from a point of weakness but of course the reality is that despite the sustained and orchestrated attacks on Sinn Féin, that the growth in support for the party has survived all of this and has increased in 2 elections in the South and is set to increase further in the North in May.

This statement comes at a time when the political opponents of Sinn Féin are locked into a single stratgey of trying to defeat Irish Republicanism and doing everything possible to resist change.

Sinn Féin is deadly serious about the business of conflict resolution and will not allow the opponents of change to keep this process in crisis.

At times of crisis, Republicans have taken brave and imaginative initiatives to rescue this process and to continue to pursue our democratic objectives.

Todays statement will offer the hope of moving this process off the ground it has gotten stuck on. It will challenge others to respond. It will inject renewed momentum into the process.

Republicans are not going to allow those who wish to cling to the old failed status quo to squander this process.

We are seizing the initiative. Others must also meet the challenge of their responsibilities now and act positively to move this process forward.
    and the party political broadcast ends...
    anybody now a Shinnner for life?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote]Should thast be HQ instead of HO

I've no doubt all those issues you raised are on the agenda but I can't help feeling that the impact of whatever he says is going to be lost (not electorally) in the politicking of the election.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Firstly, none of the three options rock mentioned are on the table this afternoon.

Secondly, those of you who are aware of what is going to be said and at this point it should be most of you, can remain silent for the next three hours and 15 minutes. The statement is embargoed until 3pm and the media have taken stories about us off politics.ie in the past so let's not make it easy for them or disrupt the work our comrades are doing today.

Thirdly, the statement is of sufficient importance to have a serious debate about it without useless and irrelevant speculation prior to its publication and I would STRONGLY urge comrades to make their feelings, whether positive or negative, on the statement clear to their local leaderships. Bear in mind, local leaderships won't see your comments if they're on politics.ie.

Lastly, perhaps unlike Rock, I have no problem being a bollix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellows

Not much choice in the matter for PSF, now is there?

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast