Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: Voting Poles - votes for immigrants ?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Voting Poles - votes for immigrants ?

    Are we going to regularize the immigrant situation ? I know that people from UK can vote in our general elections but why not our new immigrants ? They pay taxes etc ?

    Who would they vote for ?

    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dept. of FutureTaoiseach
    Posts
    7,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    They shouldn't get the vote unless they get Irish Citizenship. The situation regarding the UK is tenable because of a relatively similar level of prosperity in the 2 countries, hence they won't come here in overwhelming numbers. Allowing immigrants from poor countries to vote risks - because of them tending to be adults - creating a powerful immigrant bloc in the Dail thus making future immigration control impossible.

    There is a risk also that the renewed Catholic conservatism that has emerged in Poland could roll back the recent liberalisation for one of 2 possible reasons: either in order to pander to this segment of the electorate politicians supporting this, or else in order to get the support of a potential "Polish party".

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Not like the poor old British who had to put up with tens of thousands of impoverished Irish flocking to their cities, entrenching Labour in power in certain constituencies..etc, etc...
    "I like you. You're all right. Actually, I like you better meeting you than if somebody had just given me your record."
    Joey Ramone
    http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Voting Poles - votes for immigrants ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan
    Are we going to regularize the immigrant situation ? I know that people from UK can vote in our general elections but why not our new immigrants ? They pay taxes etc ?

    Who would they vote for ?

    cYp
    it would be yet another characteristic cave in to pro-immigrationism. As for their voting habits I'd suspect they'd generally prefer low-tax, low spend Parties.
    "Public opinion will be led to adopt, without knowing it, the proposals that we dare not present to them directly ...."
    - V.Giscard D'Estaing, 14 June 2007

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member yellowfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    3,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The situation regarding the UK is tenable because of a relatively similar level of prosperity in the 2 countries,
    we came here because property prices meant we could afford a house in the country, something we could never have hoped to do in England- i suppose that would make us economic migrants. I know a few others who moved for around the same reasons.
    However i take your point. But why do you presume people would vote on block as migrants, dont you think that once here they would have the same concerns as the rest of the voters here?
    i think that european citizens should be able to vote in the country they are resident, pay taxes etc, its the democratic thing to do- NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPERENSATION- seabird should recognize that, im sure most others would as well.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin NSide and Belfast 15
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Voting Poles - votes for immigrants ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan
    Are we going to regularize the immigrant situation ? I know that people from UK can vote in our general elections but why not our new immigrants ? They pay taxes etc ?

    Who would they vote for ?

    cYp
    How about we regularise the situation the way the Estonians are regularising the situation in relation to their Russian minority? I can't see our Eastern visitors complaining if we treat them as they treat their own minorities when it comes to civic rights, can you?
    Oh, wait...
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dept. of FutureTaoiseach
    Posts
    7,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfish
    The situation regarding the UK is tenable because of a relatively similar level of prosperity in the 2 countries,
    we came here because property prices meant we could afford a house in the country, something we could never have hoped to do in England- i suppose that would make us economic migrants. I know a few others who moved for around the same reasons.
    However i take your point. But why do you presume people would vote on block as migrants, dont you think that once here they would have the same concerns as the rest of the voters here?
    i think that european citizens should be able to vote in the country they are resident, pay taxes etc, its the democratic thing to do- NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPERENSATION- seabird should recognize that, im sure most others would as well.
    But English people already have a vote in General Elections so you shouldn't be complaining!

    They might not vote as a bloc on everything. However developing-world migrants would probably on issues pertaining to deportations, amnesties etc. especially if their cousins would be involved. It can also be expected that the prevailing attitudes in their countries of origin would find their way into our politics if many of them had the vote. In the case of Poland this would be good on some issues e.g. suspicious of socialism, but bad on others e.g. Catholic social conservatism. And don't start me on future immigrants from Muslim countries like Turkey...

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    [ It can also be expected that the prevailing attitudes in their countries of origin would find their way into our politics if many of them had the vote. In the case of Poland this would be good on some issues e.g. suspicious of socialism, but bad on others e.g. Catholic social conservatism. ...
    The state of those Poles: conservative, drunken, rural Catholics...

    What are they like?

    So, on this form, I'd say they'll probably vote for FF or FG - if they get the chance...

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Catalpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    10,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Bad idea, there is no way the Franchise should be extended to any more non nationals.

    We should restore the Constitution to the way it was in 1984.

    I know all SF supporters here will support this move for reasons we don't need to go into here.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,955
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Bad idea, there is no way the Franchise should be extended to any more non nationals.

    We should restore the Constitution to the way it was in 1984.

    I know all SF supporters here will support this move for reasons we don't need to go into here.
    what move Catalpa, extending the franchise, or returning to the position pre-1984.

    On the whole, non-Irish people already participate in Irish democracy at local level, and, if they show a long term committment to the country (possibly living here for a period of time), pay their taxes, get involved in their local communities etc, is there any real democratic reason why these people shouldn't have the franchise extended ?

    Oh, and please FT, don't start the "they wouldn't vote for a united Ireland" nonsense.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •