Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waste of public money

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Waste of public money

52m gone on e-voting fiasco. Schools up and down the country waiting for longer for refurbishment. Why the silence from parents groups?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

concentrating on the money wasted lets the government off the hook over the real issue-that they were allowing elections go ahead with an unsafe system and that mistakes in the 2002 e vote constituencies were not made public.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

€52 million is a lot of money to have seen wasted. It was a mistake that had been warned about for a long time by opposition parties and experts. It seemed that there was no concern at all in government circles about the safety and security of the system and that there was no reason to postpone it. At the end of the day the government has wasted money through bad planning and a poor understanding of the need for public confidence in elections. Whatever side of the political fence you sit on, this was an avoidable mess.

It was a mistake that had been warned about for a long time by opposition parties and experts. It seemed that there was no concern at all in government circles about the safety and security of the system and that there was no reason to postpone it.
    During the earlier months of the argument, Fine Gael was still proposing internet voting.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

During the earlier months of the argument, Fine Gael was still proposing internet voting.
    indeed, but it was the proposed system itself, not electronic voting in general that most of the opposition came from, particularly the experts who criticised the specific system. While i don't think internet voting is viable for security concerns at the moment, i don't buy into the argument that being against the system the government had wasted €52 million on was the same as being against electronic voting in principle.

It was a bit naive of Fine Gael to call for internet voting, but we have seen some breathtaking behaviour from the minister and on balance fine gael have been surprisingly good on the issue. They did in fairness get together the motion on electronic voting that put the pressure on to have the commission set-up.

No opposition party is going to be perfect (look at the Greens and their posters in Dublin) but to be fair all the opposition parties were strong in their opposition to the system being brought in by the minister.

No opposition party is going to be perfect (look at the Greens and their posters in Dublin) but to be fair all the opposition parties were strong in their opposition to the system being brought in by the minister.
    Eventually. And after it looked like they could damage the government on the issue. Which leads me to believe that had they been in government and the government in opposition, the script would have been identical. Maybe not, perhaps that's a little cynical. I have been impressed by the opposition on this issue.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And now I see why the govt. (any govt. stringjack, i take your point) gets away with this! Education is not the priority: it comes down to political point scoring. Back to parents groups: why the silence? Why not crucify all politcal parties so that the priorities are set for them by the people?

Single-issue education candidates, along the lines of the health campaigners?

In fact, what if we orgainised parties along funding priority lines - then we'd know that the public wanted the area represented by the party winning the most seats to be funded with priority.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Umm stringjack...that sounds like what we have already!
    You know...biggest party gets into govt...cabinet ministers (in strict pecking order) hand out the goodies to their constituencies, ministers of state scrabble over scraps and so on down the food chain.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And now I see why the govt. (any govt. stringjack, i take your point) gets away with this!
    It really *blanks* me off that they all *trust* the civil servants when they get their Mercs.

The Civil Servants *blank* up too. Look at the way they are still claiming they were right about eVoting. Read Pat The Cope's BS in the Seanad.

Most TDs believe anything they hear from a Civil Servant.

"The Civil Servants would never let that happen" was a quote I got from a former Labour Minister one night.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast