It is looking pretty good for FG but a lingering doubt remains on whether or not there is much of a brain at the top. If a voter concludes that Enda is dumber than himself then why the Hell should he vote for him. Do the FG posters here consider themselves dumber than Enda.
To gauge the intelligence of FG I went back and looked at their manifesto from 2007 and read what was being said. It was at a time that the property bubble had well peaked. Everyone that has any brains at all knows what happens when a property bubble bursts. Even a slow learning donkey could have figured out that the vast stream of tax revenue would dry up.
So clearly the manifesto would be warning of 7 years of lean times as anyone would expect after 7 years of fat.
This is what I found.
Fine Gael Campaigns - 2007 General Election Manifesto
Why it looks like the usual tripe that is put out for every election. Another famous 10 point plan.
1. We promise the usual 4000 beds rant rant blah blah.
How could anyone believe this gibberish even if the boom continued. Everyone practically would be covered in clean hospitals. Best of all though they were going to lower suicides. Is this a joke. Do voters fall for this nowadays.
2. Needless to say, We promise 2000 new cops and no more crime. The Greens promised 3000. If there is an election I bet they will be promising another 2000.
3. This is so childish it must be just ignored. Honestly what party promises to spend the taxpayers money wisely. Did they spend it stupidly the last time and are sorry.
4. We promise education for all. Now note here also that they list 100000 medical cards and it repeats the promise to confront suicide. Most parties would be content saying something foolish once but they say it twice so far. Nobody could make this up.
5.Global warming gibberish, don't worry about that now
6. I kid ye not, they repeat 2 more points from number 1. free medical insurance for all and free GP visits for children under 5. I am telling ye reading this is priceless.
7. This is classic altogether, "ensure that Ireland's strong economy and jobs are not put at risk by complacency and lack of competitiveness". Too bad they were about 5 years too late
8. This one tells immigrants who come to the country to commit serious crimes that they are not welcome. Ho Ho Ho. who needs Willie O Dea or Dermott Ahearn when we have crime fighters like these.
9. We promise to help farmers and fishermen. WOW what an origonal idea
10. Wait for it, no laughing yet. We promise to promote peace and fight international terrorism. By the way even though we mentioned it before we promise to fight global warming.
Now David Letterman could not have come up with a more ridiculous top 10 ever. The best belly laugh I had in years.
So is Enda smarter than the average FG voter