Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Waste of Money ever on the Irish Language

Politics.ie Member Supermanpolitician's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Worst Waste of Money ever on the Irish Language

Usual debate will ensue (where I take the commen sense ground of saying it is culturally important but shouldn't be rammed down our throats), but one thing really P8ssed me off recently.

My wife had a baby in Holles Street recently. Those of you who know it know the wonderful job the staff do there. Like every hospital they are under financial pressure.

But when you walk outside there is a sign in Irish telling you not to allow your dog foul the footpath.

Honestly, how many Irish speakers walk their dog outside Holles St Hospital and if so, how many of you need to be told this in Irish?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=Supermanpolitician;1670442]

Usual debate will ensue (where I take the commen sense ground of saying it is culturally important but shouldn't be rammed down our throats), but one thing really P8ssed me off recently.
    You are easily pissed off.
    My wife had a baby in Holles Street recently.
    Congratulations, I hope mother and child are doing well.

Those of you who know it know the wonderful job the staff do there. Like every hospital they are under financial pressure.
    Great to hear someone speak nicely of a hospital.

But when you walk outside there is a sign in Irish telling you not to allow your dog foul the footpath.
    Is the sign also in English? All such signs should be bi-lingual.

Honestly, how many Irish speakers walk their dog outside Holles St Hospital and if so, how many of you need to be told this in Irish?
    Here is the problem:

1. Is the sign bi-lingual, it should be.
    2. If they are already making the sign in English, how much could it really cost to add a few Irish words?
    3. Even if it was just in Irish, how much money was actually wasted on this sign?
    4. If you think this is the biggest waste of money on the Irish language then you are in for a shock if you ever read up on it (and I am pro-Gaeilge).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should go to Wales and you would see what a bi-lingual policy really looks like. In Ireland we only have the merest tokenism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=Gruffalo;1670472]
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermanpolitician View Post

Here is the problem:

2. If they are already making the sign in English, how much could it really cost to add a few Irish words?
    3. Even if it was just in Irish, how much money was actually wasted on this sign?
    4. If you think this is the biggest waste of money on the Irish language then you are in for a shock if you ever read up on it (and I am pro-Gaeilge).
    Interested to hear why you think it should be in Irish and English?

It costs money to have them translated into Irish. I could honestly say that there is no single Irish speaker in Dublin who does not also speak English.

I think paying for the translation and erection of Dog Fouling signs in Irish anywhere outside the Gaeltacht is a waste of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=Gruffalo;1670472]

Here is the problem:

Yes I am easily pissed off when I see tax money thrown down the toilet. I have posted on the port tunnel, Luas and other areas where tax money was thrown around like confetti. But somehow the Irish language is some sacred cow above criticism when it comes to spending money.

Does anybody honestly think this dog fouling sign has done anything to promote Irish?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does anybody honestly think this dog fouling sign has done anything to promote Irish?
    Absolutely not.
    Out of curiosity, can you tell me the Irish word for dogsh!t? I want to ring up Eamon O Cuiv and yell it at him repeatedly every time he opens his gombeen mouth.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=Supermanpolitician;1670494]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post

Yes I am easily pissed off when I see tax money thrown down the toilet. I have posted on the port tunnel, Luas and other areas where tax money was thrown around like confetti. But somehow the Irish language is some sacred cow above criticism when it comes to spending money.

Sure, they're Irish dogs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    Absolutely not.
    Out of curiosity, can you tell me the Irish word for dogsh!t? I want to ring up Eamon O Cuiv and yell it at him repeatedly every time he opens his gombeen mouth.
    Not sure. Probably "caic madra" or some such.

Shout to O Ciuv "You're a pile of dog poo" in English. He'll understand, like all gaelgoers.

Baby is home today so won't be passing by the sign again soon (hopefully).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    You should go to Wales and you would see what a bi-lingual policy really looks like. In Ireland we only have the merest tokenism.
    I agree, a chara.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=Supermanpolitician;1670494]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post

You begrudge a few euros to Irish but you're happy with the many hundreds of millions we are spending on teaching English to Russians, Rwandans and Ruritanians!

You're a lousy hypocrite.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast