Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivan Yates joins Newstalk Breakfast Show for 3 months

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ivan Yates joins Newstalk Breakfast Show for 3 months

After all the speculation, it turns out that Ivan is indeed joining Newstalk to replace Ger Gilroy on the Breakfast Show. At the very end of Friday's programme, Ger said a quick goodbye, and this morning Ivan was welcomed on board.

It seems Ger is becoming a 'senior editor' at the station, and he will be returning to the airwaves on Friday night's Off the Ball.

Ivan is joining the show for 3 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Story with Gilroy and the blonde.. Could they not stand each other or wha?

Yates is ok... I have to say that Gilroys style grew on me as I listened.
    Originally Posted by The Red Rose of Cork
    I dont care about "the majority of people"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's her that should have gone.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

About time too, that show was going down the pan very quickly. Although I think Claire Byrne should have been replaced.

Both of that team have a lot to offer. GG very good sports journo, glad to hear he's going back in that direction. CB mmm....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1. Chemistry with a colleague is an intangible and unpredictable thing! Hopefully GG will be able to show off his abilities in his new role.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Despite it being on before my morning coffee I've noticed the "lack of chemistry". Hope Ivan is a bit better.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Newstalk's breakfast show is extremely flawed, but I don't think Ger Gilroy was necessarily the problem. I'm not that fond of him but he was definitely better than Claire Byrne. My main problem with the show is the lack of content. A huge chunk of it is reading out texts from any oul eejit, and the amount of repetition is phenomenal.

I've no idea why anyone thinks this will improve the show. Ivan Yates has sounded like a complete amateur on the many occasions when he has stood in for George Hook. Also, surely it can't be good for someone even more obviously biased than Tubridy in favour of one of the major parties to be anchoring a news show?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is great news. Should keep Ivan Yates busy so he won't substituting for George Hook so often. It will ensure that I certainly won't be listening to Newstalk in the morning. A combination of Morning Ireland and BBC's Today Programme is so much better.

Newstalk would have done better to get Brendan O'Brien, as his Saturday morning programme is excellent.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

B o'B's show is great I agree. But it was cut by 30 minutes for Orla Barry and then the Emergency.
    It would have been far better to cut Orla's show not B's, he is very good at what he does.
    Is he the same fella who doorstepped Martin Cahill in the street yonks ago? That was brilliant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast