Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do elements of the Labour leadership know where the OIRA dumped their weapons?

Default Do elements of the Labour leadership know where the OIRA dumped their weapons?

The OIRA never disclosed where their weapons ended up after their ceasefire. Many within the current Labour leadership had leadership roles in The Workers Party and later DL. I find it hard to believe that Pronsias DeRossa had no pull in the OIRA, and even find it conceivable that the likes of Gilmore and Rabbitte were involved back then as young fellas. If it is known, should they disclose the location of the weapons dump or is it no longer their responsibility?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

links evidence...........?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont see why would be gained from bringing up this issue, bar trying to discredit the individuals named.

Unless seal in waterproof vaults, firearms buried for over 30 years would have a slim chance of being in working order.

Its a bit like asking, was Cowen informed of where IRA weapons were hidden in 1922.

Quote Originally Posted by mmrebel View Post
    links evidence...........?
    It's a question, not a statement. It is common knowledge that all three were involved in The Workers Party, a quick visit to their Wikipedia pages confirms that. The OIRA was the Military Wing of said Workers Party, and never disclosed where they dumped their weapons following their ceasefire. DeRossa was in the Leadership of the WP at the time, and had been involved in paramilitary activities before (he was interned after the Border Campaign) so it is not inconceivable that he was in the know about the so-called "special activities" of the Military Wing of the Party he assumed a leadership position in...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stupid question, stupid thread.
    itís the continuing series of small tragedies, that send a man to the, madhouse

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    The OIRA never disclosed where their weapons ended up after their ceasefire. Many within the current Labour leadership had leadership roles in The Workers Party and later DL. I find it hard to believe that Pronsias DeRossa had no pull in the OIRA, and even find it conceivable that the likes of Gilmore and Rabbitte were involved back then as young fellas. If it is known, should they disclose the location of the weapons dump or is it no longer their responsibility?

As if we had not more important things on our mind, it is your character now that is in question bringing it up at this time

The general sold them to the UVF! Who really cares! Doubt they work well! They might sell as antiques though!

Quote Originally Posted by turdsl View Post
    As if we had not more important things on our mind, it is your character now that is in question bringing it up at this time
    I fail to see how. We hold issues like this to be paramount when discussing the Sinn Fein Leadership, and lets remember we know where their weapons are. Besides, it's an innocuous enough question: if they know where they are should they disclose it? I never insinuated that they put them there, nor did I say they ordered anything back then or haven't changed their views regarding paramilitarism.

Politics.ie Member Pat Mc Larnon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was always a lot of hypocricy emanating from the Workers Party and then DL over weapons and violence. Small rumps of the Offiicials have used weapons from time to time to settle disputes, especially those started in clubs and pubs. There is no doubt that the whole issue of their weapons should have been dealt with at the time. But given that we are decades down the line and that their membership was always miniscule it is best just to let this issue die a death.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    I fail to see how. We hold issues like this to be paramount when discussing the Sinn Fein Leadership, and lets remember we know where their weapons are. Besides, it's an innocuous enough question: if they know where they are should they disclose it? I never insinuated that they put them there, nor did I say they ordered anything back then or haven't changed their views regarding paramilitarism.
    ...but you are claiming that they are there. Where did you get that information from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast