Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should PPS Number be used by banks,companies etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should PPS Number be used by banks,companies etc?

Just wondering ... banks, insurance companies, telephone companies etc would love to use PPS as a reliable means of identifying their customers & consolidating information. This would lower their costs & the greater efficiency would be good for us all.

To do this however would require legislative change etc.

Would people be for or against (or disinterested) ?

CyP
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Default Re: PPS Number to be used by banks,companies etc

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan
    Would people be for or against (or disinterested) ?
    I imagine only those without PPS numbers would be disinterested.
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And try to be more accurate/less misleading in the titling of threads. If people know what it's actually about, you're more likely to have a decent conversation on the actual topic at hand.
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be against.

But not because of any Freedom of Information issues, nor Data Protections issues, but on the basis, that anything which makes the lives of all those 3 industries mentioned harder, is fine by me.

Legalised robbers the lot of them.

Rant over (though I reserve the right to re-commence it at a future time)
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that banks yes but am not so sure about the others. The PPS no. would help frustrate attempts by criminals to hide their assets in bank accounts under assumed names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have told you all, my friends, about the little game I play in trying to guess who started a thread based on its title (and increasingly based on the forum in which it has been (mis)posted :x). Now let me tell you about another game.

This one is called "Guess what the repetitive freak is going to say." (It's generally played early in a thread's life, after you've read the opening posts, and one of the in-house weirdos comes along and joins the argument.)

The title really says it all, folks. There's a reasonable thread, which is joined by a nutter, and you have to guess how they try to twist the topic round to their favourite ranting point. It's fun, honestly. I invite you all to play too.
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also it would enable consolidated reporting to the Revenue - currently many financial services firms are obliged to report transactions that could allow for capital gain. However to identify the client the use free-text name & address. The Revenue probably aren't able to match these back even when they are logically the same e.g.

Eamon Forde
    Lugvanna
    Sligo Town
    Co Sligo

Eamonn Ford
    Ballyfeckle
    Co Sligo

(don't start on that Soundex etc would work)

Let alone when someone changes address etc.

But the government is currently a little afraid of this area, I wonder why , given that no one seems overly bothered by it ?

CyP
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Information aggregation can produce a very comprehensive picture of a given individual. At the moment, this is rendered more difficult by the variety of identification methods used. Rationalising those is difficult because of the variety and antiquity of the IT systems behind it.

The Revenue is an arm of Government, and legally required to maintain certain standards of transparency and security. There are also limits on what they can do with the data they obtain. Commercial entities do not suffer from these restrictions to the same degree, which strongly suggests that (a) aggregatable data will be used for profiling, and (b) the data will "leak", or be explicitly shared as most Internet-captured data already is.

At the moment, we have a de facto freedom from "profiling". Why we would want to legislate to lose that freedom I have no idea.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBear
    I have told you all, my friends, about the little game I play in trying to guess who started a thread based on its title (and increasingly based on the forum in which it has been (mis)posted :x). Now let me tell you about another game.

This one is called "Guess what the repetitive freak is going to say." (It's generally played early in a thread's life, after you've read the opening posts, and one of the in-house weirdos comes along and joins the argument.)

The title really says it all, folks. There's a reasonable thread, which is joined by a nutter, and you have to guess how they try to twist the topic round to their favourite ranting point. It's fun, honestly. I invite you all to play too.
    Sounds like fun. More fun than anything else going on at the moment.

Fair play to RoC for inspiring it

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBear

Sounds like fun. More fun than anything else going on at the moment.

Fair play to RoC for inspiring it

1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast