Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballina Councillor quits provo mé féin.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ballina Councillor quits provo mé féin.

Internal rift sees Clarke leave Sinn Féin

Internal rift sees Clarke leave Sinn Féin - Mayo Advertiser - May 15, 2009.

Sitting Ballina town councillor Peter Clarke announced this week that he had left Sinn Féin and will stand for the forthcoming town council elections as an independent republican candidate. Speaking to the Mayo Advertiser this week, Clarke said: “I have been thinking about this for a number of months and made my mind up about three weeks ago and told the party on Tuesday of my decision.”

Clarke hit out at the party on a number of issues when speaking to the Mayo Advertiser as he outlined his reasons for leaving the party. “Basically my father passed away in 2000 and it was said to me in a Sinn Féin meeting after in north Mayo that he had done nothing for north Mayo and he was a cheque book republican. There was a lot of disrespect shown to him. Also in 2004 I opened a Sinn Féin office in Ballina, when I was told that the party would pay half the cost of the office, which never happened. I wasn’t working at the time myself and had to put thousands of euro into it of my own money and because there was no money coming from the party I had to shut it down after a couple of months.”

Clarke was unhappy with comments which were directed at him and his family at Sinn Féin meetings in north Mayo. “It was said to me that I only got the nomination in 2004 because I would only get 20 votes, there were a lot of things said. I would say that 80 per cent of the remarks about me and my family were said to me in Sinn Féin meetings, there are a lot of people with a lot of old scores to settle.”

Clarke also said that a number of members of the party were unhappy with the Jackie Clarke collection which his father left to the town of Ballina and did not want it in the town and tried to apply pressure to get it moved. “In relation to the Jackie Clarke collection, which my father wanted to leave to the town of Ballina, his home town, there were a lot of members of the party who weren’t happy that it was to be in Ballina and wanted it to be in Castlebar or Dublin, expressly against his wishes and of my mother who handed the collection over to the town council. Also back in 2006, I passed on a personal invite to the party to give to Gerry Adams to come and have a private viewing of the collection which I believe was never passed on.”

Clarke also hit out at a number of new members of the party whom he does not believe are real republicans. “In the past eight years you have seen an awful lot of people who are what I would describe as ‘Mé Féiners’. There are still a lot of decent republicans out there, but an awful lot who are just out for themselves.” Clarke also said that he has the support of the republican movement in the town in the upcoming elections. “I’m very confident that I will get re-elected on my performance as a councillor. The Geraghty-Stagg Cumann has closed down and they have given me their support for the upcoming elections.

Party says it is an internal matter

The Sinn Féin organisation in Mayo, while not commenting on the issue, released a statement saying: “Mayo Sinn Féin has confirmed that they will not be running any candidates in Ballina town and county council electoral areas in the upcoming local elections. Sinn Féin demands and expects public representation of the highest level, both in terms of representing our party and those people who vote for Sinn Féin.

“Our party has not had a functioning organisation in Ballina for more than two years. We will be launching a new structure in the area in the next few weeks, working towards ensuring that Padraig MacLochlainn is elected as an MEP, and building the party locally for future campaigns.” They concluded the statement by wishing Peter Clarke the best in the future and saying that it was an internal party matter and there would be no further comment on the issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shameful behaviour by the shinners; greedy, unprincipled and petty. The Mayo organisation is definitely in step with the rest of them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is an interesting article about how the authoritarian ideologues of New Sinn Féin interfere in the affairs of local branches. Arrogant and condescending, these salaried party apparatchiks have alienated many traditional rural Republicans.

No middle ground
    Tuesday, 19 May 2009
    No middle ground for Clarke and Sinn Féin

Liamy MacNallyLiamy MacNally

BRENDAN Behan said that the first item on the agenda of any IRA meeting was the split. He was right. Irish republicanism is defined by splits. Arthur Griffith founded Sinn Féin in 1905. It boasted Éamon de Valera and Michael Collins as members. Today, their parties’ progeny shun that ancestry.
    Sinn Féin is continuing the split in Ballina. Cllr Peter Clarke, a Sinn Féin councillor for the past five years has left the party, or rather, the party has left him. The party seems to be on a Mormon-style mission, sending out members in pairs, suited and booted, to ‘convert’ the locals from the wild abandon of ancient beliefs.
    Sinn Féin has two main strands – Republican and Provisional. Rúairí Ó Brádaigh heads up the Republican wing with Gerry Adams at the Provisional helm. Ballina has its own wing – Independent Sinn Féin, the banner under which Peter Clarke is standing in the forthcoming local elections. Peter Clarke comes from a long line of Republicans whose ideals coarse through his veins. That does not seem to be enough for modern day Provisional Sinn Féin. They are adopting the ‘dumbing down’ model. Looking the part seems to be more important than what is inside. Looks are giving way to values.
    For some reason there has been an element of resentment in some elements within Sinn Féin ever since Peter Clarke was elected to Ballina Town Council and even before that. Most of it can be traced back to his late father, Jackie Clarke, who died in 2000. Jackie was a Sinn Féin councillor who was an avid collector of national history. His collection, in the Jackie Clarke Library and Archives, have been handed over, as per his wishes, by his wife Anne and family, to Mayo County Council for the benefit of the people of Ballina and Mayo. Some Sinn Féin followers could never marry the reality of a successful businessman having Republican values. Not long after Jackie died the talk started. Mumblings surfaced that he never did anything for the ‘movement.’ Ballina was a power base in the Republican fold thanks to Jackie Clarke and a few of his colleagues. This did not go down well with the ‘new’ guard in Sinn Féin, especially when the power base shifted from the 26 to the 6 counties.
    When Peter Clarke took over the talk continued. This time it emanated closer to home, in fact from within the county. Before he was elected the small talk was so close that he was told he would not get 20 votes. The talkers were wrong, he did.
    He was elected to Ballina Town Council. Peter Clarke claims that Sinn Féin promised to jointly pay for an office with him in Ballina after his election. Unfortunately, the denarii were not forthcoming from the party! The suited and booted brigade arrived in Ballina on a few occasions, as they did to other towns in the county. In one Mayo town they were politely informed to depart in a rapid fashion and pack their arrogance wherever it would fit. They did! These desktop Republicans who were ‘on tour’ to train the natives in the ways of city slickers learned many things along their travels, especially history. They also discovered the non-salaried Republicans who stayed loyal to their beliefs.
    Peter Clarke claims that some Sinn Féin members in Castlebar referred to his father as a ‘cheque book Republican.’ Peter Clarke also claims that there was great jealousy in certain quarters over the Jackie Clarke Library and Archives. Some within Sinn Féin thought that Ballina was not a suitable location for such a collection. Castlebar would be fine or Dublin would be better. Regional development, begrudgers’ style! The Library project requires serious support and funding. Strange how one its greatest supporters, in a genuine way, is a Fianna Fáil TD, Dara Calleary, recently appointed Minister of State. Some time ago, he was publicly thanked by Peter Clarke for that support and commended for his work on the Parkside Regeneration Project. The Sinn Féin suits were out of their salaried offices like bullets to ask Peter Clarke why he did such a thing!
    When Peter Clarke announced last week that he was standing as an Independent Sinn Féin candidate the party hierarchy went into hiding. Some local Mayo members had the decency to ensure that a statement was issued to the press. One can sense embarrassment among these genuine party members. The party has now lost a councillor but also a core group of loyal supporters who are fed up with the HQ authoritarian antics. Some in Provisional Sinn Féin should realise that they are still armed with arrogance and have shot themselves in the foot in Ballina. They haven’t gone away, you know.

Politics.ie Member Amach na Casca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crowley View Post
    Shameful behaviour by the shinners; greedy, unprincipled and petty. The Mayo organisation is definitely in step with the rest of them.
    You know the inner workings of all SF cumann throughout the country then i suppose?
    “As well might you leave the fairies to plough your land or the idle winds to sow it, as sit down and wait for freedom.” - Thomas Davis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These articles are a pretty accurate portrayal of New Sinn Féin, no need to roll your eyes. The elite clique that runs No.44 are arrogant and have stifled Sinn Féin's growth through their alienation of their traditional base.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Mac Stiofán View Post
    These articles are a pretty accurate portrayal of New Sinn Féin, no need to roll your eyes. The elite clique that runs No.44 are arrogant and have stifled Sinn Féin's growth through their alienation of their traditional base.

In fairness there's been a steadyish stream of councillors leaving FF too due to the new selection methods being employed by HQ. I don't think this issue is confined to SF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amach na Casca View Post
    You know the inner workings of all SF cumann throughout the country then i suppose?
    Oh what an intelligent response.

Keep bleating sheep; maybe it will drown out the reports of MP expense accounts and Hilton Hotel junkets. Average industrial indeed. Provo mé féin are no better than any of the rest of the gombeens and quislings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Keep bleating sheep; maybe it will drown out the reports of MP expense accounts and Hilton Hotel junkets. Average industrial indeed. Provo mé féin are no better than any of the rest of the gombeens and quislings.
    You'd think SF was the only party which had any internal rifts. Some Councillor who most people probably never heard of leaves the party due to an internal dispute. Yeah i'm sure the party is going to close down because of it. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Your argument that SF are no better than the rest of the gombeens is exactly the reasoning behind why we'll be stuck with either a FF or FG lead government in perpetuity. You equate a few expenses that SF claimed with the economic treason that high ranking FF members have commited with the giveaway of oil to Shell, bailing out of the bankers, dodgy dealings with developers and more. You're some tulip!
    “As well might you leave the fairies to plough your land or the idle winds to sow it, as sit down and wait for freedom.” - Thomas Davis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amach na Casca View Post
    You'd think SF was the only party which had any internal rifts. Some Councillor who most people probably never heard of leaves the party due to an internal dispute. Yeah i'm sure the party is going to close down because of it. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Your argument that SF are no better than the rest of the gombeens is exactly the reasoning behind why we'll be stuck with either a FF or FG lead government in perpetuity. You equate a few expenses that SF claimed with the economic treason that high ranking FF members have commited with the giveaway of oil to Shell, bailing out of the bankers, dodgy dealings with developers and more. You're some tulip!
    New Sinn Féin's faceless party apparatchiks come down from No.44 or James Connolly House and lay down the law for the hicks, who aren't sufficiently 'progressive' or 'revolutionary' for their liking ("reproductive rights"). They attempt to foist candidates of their liking on local organizations. They are more inclined to do this than F.F. or indeed any other party. They alienate their supporters as a result and stifle their own growth --talk about sabotaging yourself.

Politics.ie Member Pat Mc Larnon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Donkeys will always bray at the moon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Mac Stiofán View Post
    New Sinn Féin's faceless party apparatchiks come down from No.44 or James Connolly House and lay down the law for the hicks, who aren't sufficiently 'progressive' or 'revolutionary' for their liking ("reproductive rights"). They attempt to foist candidates of their liking on local organizations. They are more inclined to do this than F.F. or indeed any other party. They alienate their supporters as a result and stifle their own growth --talk about sabotaging yourself.
    I hardly think SF are stifling their own growth by introducing new candidates into areas. Lets look at the last 2 local elections (in the 26C) SF won 21 local election seats in 1999, they won 53 seats in 2004. That was a much bigger seat gain than any other party achieved during this period. They must have done something right. I believe theres an even stronger candidate line up for next months locals and more gains to be made. Doubtless SF have made mistakes here and there with parachuting in new candidates in place of popular established ones but thats a mistake they'll just have to learn from. On the whole SF are going in the right direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast