Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomy thread

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Astronomy thread

I thought it right that a thread be started on matters astronomical, the justification for an astronomy thread on a politics website is too obvious to bother articulating. Look at this for a photo (read the explanation first to appreciate it):
    Explanation: On Wednesday, May 13, two, tiny, fast moving spots crossed an otherwise featureless solar disk. Not sunspots though, the dark blemishes were silhouettes of the shuttle orbiter Atlantis and the Hubble Space Telescope side by side. To record this sharp picture of the orbiting pair against the face of the Sun, astronomer Thierry Legault carefully set up his camera and telescope near the center of a 5 kilometer wide path of visibility about 100 kilometers south of Kennedy Space Center in Florida. He opened the shutter for 1/8,000 second at 12:17 EDT, catching Atlantis and Hubble at a range of 600 kilometers while they were moving at 7 kilometers/second. The total duration of the transit (Sun crossing) was 0.8 seconds. Enlarged in the inset view, Atlantis (top) is approaching Hubble prior to capturing the space telescope. Thursday, astronauts began a series of spacewalks to perform the maintenance as part of the final mission to Hubble.

APOD: 2009 May 16 - Atlantis and Hubble Side by Side

Click on the link for a hi-res large image in which you can clearly see the wings and fuselage of Atlantis hovering by Hubble. The solar minimum is also apparent, the lack of sunspots noticeable. It's breathtaking, and the mathematical precision required to get the shot is very impressive.

I'm assuming there are astronomy anoraks underneath some of your political anoraks? Post a favourite pic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ibis posted this link on Machine Nation,you can watch people fixing the telescope live on computer-telly...

NASA - NASA TV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Pathfinder photos from its first days on Mars in 1999 are another favourite,I remember staring at them for ages and ages,imagining being there:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a better pic, I took it at night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    This is a better pic, I took it at night

And you did it with your eyes closed...

That's a picture on a single frequency rather than on the entire frequency spectrum all at once. It actually looks better because of the lack of washout effect,and it gives a sense of an active sun (even when relatively quiet like now) that you don't get on the all-frequencies photo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    And you did it with your eyes closed...

That's a picture on a single frequency rather than on the entire frequency spectrum all at once. It actually looks better because of the lack of washout effect,and it gives a sense of an active sun (even when relatively quiet like now) that you don't get on the all-frequencies photo.
    .. and then there's Photoshop

Source
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    .. and then there's Photoshop

Well, quite. I prefer to delude myself that such things don't exist....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a nice pic of Saturn from the Voyager 1 fly-past.

The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    I thought it right that a thread be started on matters astronomical, the justification for an astronomy thread on a politics website is too obvious to bother articulating.

Couldn't agree more. I watched the space shuttle launch last Monday from a few miles away. Spectacular........although a bit disappointing that from my vantage point the detachment of the solid rocket boosters was obscured by cloud cover.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast