Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Invasion 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Invasion 2005

Irish Times 2 April 2005

Those granted PPS since 1 May 2004 until end of February 2005.

Poland: 32,648
    Lithuania: 14,700
    Latvia: 7,519
    Slovakia: 5,830
    Czech: 3,755
    Hungary: 2,213
    Estonia: 1,952
    Malta: 148
    Slovenia: 75
    Cyprus: 28

Source: Dept. of Social & Family Affairs for those granted Personal Public Service Numbers (PPS).

70,000 or so. Perhaps another 30,000 here working illegally?

Remember these figures are for the new accession Countries alone!

Polish Information and Cultural Centre estimates a total of 50,000 have come here when the thousands being exploited on the Black Economy are taken into account.

An estimated 15% return home without settling.

Newbridge, Co Kildare is being called little Warsaw.!!!
    At least 100 Poles a day on average are entering the State’s job market.

Can anyone tell me who was the senior Irish politican who rejected as spurious fears over Immigration after the new EU countries joined?

Was it Pat Rabbitte? claiming that only 3 or 4 thousand would arrive. If so we could nail him on that!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Invasion 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    First of all you are plucking that figure from nowhere. Second of all, how can somebody from within the EU work within the EU illegally?

I was under the impression our economy needed low skill employees, the kind of jobs many recent immigrants would fill. What exactly is wrong with Newbridge's new nickname - its better than some I've heard! Of course when Irish people emmigrate, they fit seamlessly in and don't group into certain areas.

I'm confused. In other threads, you complain that immigrants don't work and how you rarely see black people driving to work at the same time as you.
    Now that some immigrants are working and contributing to the state, you bemoan the loss of jobs!
    What should immigrants do? Not get jobs and "sponge" or get jobs and steal them from locals?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yak yak yak.

Again with the same old yarn, Catalpa.

And they say I'M like a broken record!
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge
    What should immigrants do?
    "Go home", I think you'll find.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stringjack
    What should immigrants do?
    "Go home", I think you'll find.
    I was hoping Catalpa would say that! If they went home, they would cease to be immigrants, so they wouldn't have to have gone home - which leaves them in a vicious semantic circle.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First of all you are plucking that figure from nowhere. Second of all, how can somebody from within the EU work within the EU illegally?

I was under the impression our economy needed low skill employees, the kind of jobs many recent immigrants would fill. What exactly is wrong with Newbridge's new nickname - its better than some I've heard! Of course when Irish people emmigrate, they fit seamlessly in and don't group into certain areas.

I'm confused. In other threads, you complain that immigrants don't work and how you rarely see black people driving to work at the same time as you.
    Now that some immigrants are working and contributing to the state, you bemoan the loss of jobs!
    What should immigrants do? Not get jobs and "sponge" or get jobs and steal them from locals?
    But if Irish people are being sacked because they wont work for as cheap as these immigrants - who come from countries with annual salaries as low as US$1,500 per annum - then a stage may come where we may need to introduce the kind of immigration controls other EU states are doing.

It is conceivable that when the other EU states remove their immigration barriers by 2009-11 as they are supposed to do, that we MAY see a big drop in numbers coming to Ireland, but if this does not materialise then controls will be needed .After all, 70,000 per annum X 10 years = 700,000. Thus over 50 years = 3.5 million. If we allow that amount of cheap labour in we are asking for trouble.

In addition, I am now totally opposed to any further enlargement of the EU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First of all you are plucking that figure from nowhere.

Well add up the figures Pidge...comes to around 70,000. I have given the source/s if care to look again.

Second of all, how can somebody from within the EU work within the EU illegally?

The citizens of the new accession states must have PPS number to work. those that come here and work without them are illegal workers.

The vast majority of the Black immigrants are here claiming asylum. They are not allowed to work while doing so.

Yet most of them do not present the appearence of people who live on Social Welfare handouts.

I never said Immigrants don't work. The majority do. But far too many are coming here right now in such huge numbers that the Irish will very soon be a minority in areas of Dublin.

How is that to the benefit of Irish people?

TBH I don't blame the working Immigrants for this mess. It is our fault and only we can solve it.

I am detemined to play my part in that Campaign to bring immigration under control.

Are you with me?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    But if Irish people are being sacked because they wont work for as cheap as these immigrants - who come from countries with annual salaries as low as US$1,500 per annum - then a stage may come where we may need to introduce the kind of immigration controls other EU states are doing.
    As far as I know that isn't really happening. Besides, the kind of jobs many new immigrants are going for are often unwanted by nationals.
    Also, doesn't the minimum wage protect against that to a large degree?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    In addition, I am now totally opposed to any further enlargement of the EU.
    Me too!

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am detemined to play my part in that Campaign to bring immigration under control.

Are you with me?
    I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryW
    Yak yak yak.

Again with the same old yarn, Catalpa.

And they say I'M like a broken record!
    Are you new here?

Can't recall anything of note you've Posted.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast