Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "As a Catholic Michael McIlveen won't go to heaven"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "As a Catholic Michael McIlveen won't go to heaven"

I don't have the link so please don't jump on my back by posting the whole story.

This type of hatred only exists on one side. If a Republican uttered words like this I would be eternally ashamed and I'd demand that they be kicked out of any political paty that I'd be in, a bit of cop on and commonsense would have gone a long way here. How much must this man hate Catholics if he just couldn't keep his mouth shut at this incredibly difficult time.

How do the DUP supporters on here feel about these comments?

‘As a Catholic, he [Michael McIlveen] won’t get into heaven. Catholics are not accepted into heaven’ - DUP Councillor Roy Gillespieby Ciarán Barnes

A Democratic Unionist Party councillor in Ballymena has sparked outrage after he claimed that a Catholic murdered in a sectarian attack in the town “will not get into heaven” because of his religious beliefs.

As the family of Michael McIlveen prepare to bury the 15-year-old, DUP politician Roy Gillespie said he would not attend Monday’s funeral because it is being held in a Catholic church.

Mr Gillespie, a Protestant evangelical, made his comments after the McIlveen family invited Ian Paisley, the DUP leader and North Antrim MP, to the funeral.

Mr Paisley, the leader of the Free Presbyterian church and a staunch opponent of Catholicism, has yet to respond to the offer.

If Mr Paisley does attend, he will face fierce criticism from within his own church, particularly from hardliners such as Mr Gillespie.

Speaking to Daily Ireland yesterday, Mr Gillespie said his party leader had to decide for himself whether to attend the teenager’s funeral.
    The borough councillor said: “I won’t be going to the funeral. Stepping foot in a Catholic church is against my religious beliefs.

“The Pope is the Antichrist and is the head of the Catholic church, which is not a true church or faith. I’m not going to listen to Mass in a Catholic church. I don’t care if it’s at a funeral, wedding or whatever else.”

Mr Gillespie said he prayed that Catholics would be saved. He said that, if Catholics did not repent before they died, they “will not get into heaven”.

“As a Catholic, he [Michael McIlveen] won’t get into heaven unless he has been saved. If he did not repent before he died and asked the Lord into his heart, he will not get into heaven. Catholics are not accepted into heaven.”

Mr Gillespie’s comments sparked a furious response from politicians angry at the timing of his remarks.

North Antrim Sinn Féin assembly member Philip McGuigan said: “Mr Gillespie’s sentiments are disgraceful, especially as they come so soon after a 15-year-old was murdered as a result of sectarian bigotry.

“This is the kind of attitude that causes others to carry out attacks fuelled by religious hatred. There is no excuse for these comments.”
    Ballymena SDLP councillor Declan O’Loan described Mr Gillespie’s comments as unfortunate.

“There has been a wave of emotion and sympathy towards the McIlveen family. For anyone to say something that is not of this accord is very out of order indeed,” he said.

“This is not a positive contribution to good community relations in Ballymena.”

Inviting Mr Paisley to the funeral, Michael’s uncle Francis McIlveen said: “I would like him to be there. He was the first one to ring me at the hospital. He is the MP for the area and, to me, he has the right to be there.
    “It doesn’t matter what anybody else says, it is what we want. If he wants to come, then he is more than welcome.”

Organisers of a loyalist band parade that is scheduled to pass the spot where Michael McIlveen was murdered are understood to be in talks aimed at postponing the march.

The Ballykeel Loyal Sons of Ulster originally planned to march through Ballymena on May 20.

Churchmen in the town have asked the band to postpone the parade to ease tension.

Sinn Féin yesterday cancelled its north Antrim hunger strike commemorations to help improve community relations.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: "As a Catholic Michael McIlveen won't go to heaven&

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysands81
    ‘As a Catholic, he [Michael McIlveen] won’t get into heaven. Catholics are not accepted into heaven’ - DUP Councillor Roy Gillespieby Ciarán Barnes
    Amazing how he knows this, did God tell him?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have the link so please don't jump on my back by posting the whole story.

This type of hatred only exists on one side. If a Republican uttered words like this I would be eternally ashamed and I'd demand that they be kicked out of any political paty that I'd be in, a bit of cop on and commonsense would have gone a long way here. How much must this man hate Catholics if he just couldn't keep his mouth shut at this incredibly difficult time.
    Indeed, another reason why southerners are happy with the staus quo, when it comes to partition.
    There was pleasure in paradise, but no excitement - Milan Kundera

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

rev paisley really should show some moral leadership and condem this man and what he has said. this is a cold and evil statement which regardless of the mans religous beliefs was not necessary at this time.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An outrageous spewing of sectarianism.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daithimac
    rev paisley really should show some moral leadership and condem this man and what he has said. this is a cold and evil statement which regardless of the mans religous beliefs was not necessary at this time.
    Not defending the man here. Atrocious remark at this sensitive time. But could someone enlighten me as to how this statement came about? Was it the case that he offered the statement, or was it the case that some journalist tried to force him into a corner? This is a view we all know that many in the DUP and Born-Again Christians hold. It's nothing new. The timing might have more to do with a journalist frothing at the mouth for a headline, than any deliberate attempt at callousness by Gillespie.

The tragedy is the death of the young boy. I have no time for Paisley, but it was interesting that he was the first one to ring the boy's uncle in the hospital. That equally could have made a more positive headline. But its not controversial enough for parasitical journalists. It probably wouldn't be controversial enough to begin a thread with either.

Quote Originally Posted by DSCH

Indeed, another reason why southerners are happy with the staus quo, when it comes to partition.
    You are a minority in the south, most polls show a large majority want a utd Ireland so stop speaking like you represent all southerners, when in fact you represent a minority in the south.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be willing to bet those numbers would change (not nessicarily giving us a majority no bit a signifigant minority) when people consider the real implications of a United Ireland.

WHen asked that question now they respond to it as a romantic notion, not a practical reality.

It's like asking Americans "do you support our troops" or "do you love america" nobody is going to say no.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ye its always been the thought of the whole islands political system getting bogged down in crap like the north has be which makes me fear for a united Ireland

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a picture of the heartless baaaaaaastaaard and I'll make no apologies for calling him so.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast