Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dublin's first Mayor to be elected next Summer

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dublin's first Mayor to be elected next Summer

Minister for the Enviornment, Heritgage, Local Government John Gormley has this afternoon announced that the first directly-elected Mayoral election will take place in the Summer of next year (2010).

2010 will see the direct-election, by the people of the Dublin Region, of a highly-visible and accountable Mayor who will have the authority and powers to deliver real leadership for the city and region. The Mayor*s leadership will derive from a suite of substantial powers across the functions of local government,* said the Minister. *I
    also believe, that by virtue of the breadth of the Mayor*s democratic mandate, he or she will be an extremely strong political voice speaking on behalf of Dubliners in local, regional and national politics.*

The Mayor will have responsibility for establishing strategic policy in relation to land-use planning, waste management, water services, and housing across the 4 major Dublin local authorities. The Mayor will also be chair of the Dublin Transport Authority, leading the Authority in delivering reliable, integrated and cost effective transport for the
    Greater Dublin Area. *I believe that the Mayor can bring together a coherent approach to both land-use and transport policy in the Dublin in one Office,* stated the Minister.

The Mayor will oversee implementation by the Dublin local authorities of the agreed regional strategies. The Dublin local authorities will be required to ensure that their actions are in compliance with the Mayor*s regional plans and strategies, while retaining their role in adopting individual plans, strategies and budgets, and in the detail
    of implementation.

The Mayor will also bring key public and private sector partners together to promote a dynamic and enterprising city region. The integration of the activities of local government and the wider public service will be an important role for the Mayor, which will result in a better public service and improved services across the board.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the government is still in situ this time next year and its majority is down to one, will this have an impact on Bertie running for the mayor's office.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jayblue View Post
    If the government is still in situ this time next year and its majority is down to one, will this have an impact on Bertie running for the mayor's office.
    looking forward to it already

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Bertie Ahern is ever elected to public office again, I am leaving, and turning out the lights on my way.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you up for it Dermot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    If Bertie Ahern is ever elected to public office again, I am leaving, and turning out the lights on my way.

I hope he runs, just so he gets the slap in the face he deserves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this a press release? Can you link to a story online?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cllr View Post
    looking forward to it already
    I'll be on your campaign team, cllr!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Bertie did get in the rest of the country should spilt from the capital...

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast