Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Mayo Co.Co. tendering for 4 new houses to be built here?

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is Mayo Co.Co. tendering for 4 new houses to be built here?

Occasionally I visit the e-tenders site to see where our money is being spent.

I came across this tender put out by Mayo County Council last Friday, May 8th, for the construction of "a 4 House Development at Lavymore, Charlestown, Co. Mayo"

Daft.ie alone has over 100 vacant properties in Charlestown, including this 20 house development at Knoxville Manor which has plenty of vacant units for sale.

So why is Mayo County Council looking for tenders to build 4 new houses when they're surrounded left, right and center by existing empty ones, including several that are side-by-side if that is a requirement?

Does anybody know anything else about this development?
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Possibly because they are for a set purpose maybe sheltered or elderly housing.

Q.Harry

Hi MsAnneThrope and posters, good thread. I'm having a similiar uphill battle on my own thread on something like this. Maybe its just so somebody can sell, and make money on land? I mean it seems crazy, 100 vacant buildings, and more are been built- surely this is not right?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is weird. Are you from the area?

Do you fancy emailing the council and requesting an answer? because that takes some explaining.

Q.Harry

wait if its for elderly people- thats definetly good....sorry don't want to come across as been mean to those old folks!

Q.Harry

but if its not for the elderly, or children or somebody- this is really really weird

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

maybe contact and ask

For the attention of:

Mairtin Ruane
    Telephone:
    094 9047679
    E-Mail:
    mruane@mayococo.ie
    Fax:
    094 9047690

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    That is weird. Are you from the area?

Do you fancy emailing the council and requesting an answer? because that takes some explaining.
    I'm not Gruffalo. Not even the province to be honest. But I always like to know why money is being spent on things anywhere in the country. So I posted it in the Connaught forum and I'll give it until tomorrow to see if any of the locals can shed some light on it.

The obvious already occurred to me. Possibly houses for specific care/needs, traveller accomodation, elderly etc, but surely some of those would come out of other departments' budgets who would therefore be tendering for it, and not the local council? If you look at that Knoxville Manor there are many unsold houses there, side by side from what I can see, that could fit the required purpose. Plus loads of other empty houses all around.

I'll wait and see what the others in the area know about it just found it curious that they're looking for new houses to be built at a time like this.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I worked in this area before for a Local Authority. From the tender information it is not clear what need this housing is meeting. If it is elderly housing it would be 1 bed. Family housing would be 2/3 bed. You will have to ask Mayo CC the question as to whether it is 1 or 2/3 bed accommodation that the tender refers to. If it is 2/3 bed it would be a legitimate question to ask as to whether it would be cheaper to buy - there would be no shortage of willing sellers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post
    I worked in this area before for a Local Authority. From the tender information it is not clear what need this housing is meeting. If it is elderly housing it would be 1 bed. Family housing would be 2/3 bed. You will have to ask Mayo CC the question as to whether it is 1 or 2/3 bed accommodation that the tender refers to. If it is 2/3 bed it would be a legitimate question to ask as to whether it would be cheaper to buy - there would be no shortage of willing sellers.
    That was one of the glaring holes Kerrynorth that triggered my interest. No indication is given as to the size/# of rooms required, any special requirements etc. I'll follow up on it if there's no feedback from the locals. Somebody stands to make a few shillings from this no doubt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast