Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Examples of corrupt/improper acts by Fine Gael.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Examples of corrupt/improper acts by Fine Gael.

This is inspired by the efforts of the poster on this thread, who is attempting to build a wiki page on FF corruption.
    http://www.politics.ie/fianna-fail/6...sentences.html

wiki probably will not accept it at call, but interestingly that the FF wiki page has a section on corruption whereas the FG page does not, there are two main reasons for this:
    1) FF corruption (Haughey, Burke, Lawlor, Flynn, Ahern) has been on a grand (or grand grand) scale.
    2) FG has only been in power for less than 13 years in the last 52 years they have had far less opportunity to be involved in corruption.
    3) They are more honest than FF'ers (added for a laugh).

The 3 examples I can think of are:
    1) Lowry and Ben Dunne payments (lets leave the mobile licence to Moriarty).
    Moriarty Tribunal
    2) Liam Cosgrave Jnr (and Tom Hand) being named as being in recipt of corrupt payments.
    [Frank Dunlop] did on 30 October 1997 a the Davenport Hotel within the Dublin Metropolitan District corruptly give a sum of money as a gift to Liam Cosgrave for the benefit of said Liam Cosgrave being a member of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council a public body, as an inducement to or otherwise on account of the said Liam Cosgrave, voting in favour of a motion that Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council resolves the lands at Carrickmines comprising about 88 acres be zoned "E" (Industrial) in the 1993 Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council Development Plan, a matter in which the said Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council was concerned. CONTRARY TO SECTION 1(2) OF THE PUBLIC BODIES CORRUPT PRACTICES ACT 1889, AS AMENDED BY SECTION 4(2) OF THE PREVENTION OF CORRUPTION ACT 1916 AND SECTION 38 OF THE ETHICS IN PUBLIC OFFICE ACT 1995.
    Corruption in public life - Vanguard News Network Forum

3) The FG party itself avoiding tax through "pick me ups"
    RTÉ News: Fine Gael makes payment to Revenue

Another example of preferential treatment (as opposed to corruption) through the "substantial forebearance and discounting" by AIB to Garret Fitzgerald to the tune of £200,000 in 1993 (being discussed on the above thread)

Is there anything in these at local level (where FG have had power)?
    Neil Collins and Mary O’Shea, ‘Political Corruption in Ireland’, in M. J. Bull and J. L. Newell, Corruption in Contemporary Politics (Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2003)
    Paul Cullen, With a Little Help from my Friends: Planning Corruption in Ireland (Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 2003)

This thread also appeared to miss the point:
    http://www.politics.ie/fine-gael/477...anna-fail.html
    If the banks are out for a bail,
    and Lenny's efforts end up as a fail,
    when the Somer does come,
    to the Country they'll run,
    And leave a Fine mess for the Gael.

Endinf the one Party (FF) state:
    http://www.politics.ie/fianna-fail/5...ate-ended.html

yeah, there should be a FF Wiki on corruption. FG and the rest are literally in the halfpenny place compared.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BodyofEvidence View Post
    yeah, there should be a FF Wiki on corruption. FG and the rest are literally in the halfpenny place compared.
    That seems to be standard FG response number one.

(No. 2 we kicked them out)
    (No. 3 it was a long time ago)
    (No. 4 we have addressed this through legislation - but still accept corporate donations and won't test the Greens loyalty to FF on it)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was once chatted up years ago by a guy who said he was a FG councillor in the midlands. He told me that he liked driving really fast, and had got loads of speeding tickets, but it was ok because a he knew a judge who always threw out the charges for him. I think he assumed I'd be impressed.

He was a bit creepy, and in my worst moments I've hoped he's had a nasty accident not involving anyone else.

(Feels like therapy! I'm glad a got to share this!)
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You cannot rant on about FF but when it comes to FG say ahh its ok.

If i am willing to stand and say Alot of what Haughey etc did was wrong atleast FGers should say the same thing.
    'A defeatist attitude now would surely lead to defeat, it primarly a question of whether we have confidence in ourselves and the dilligence and determination of our people,We can't opt out of the future.' Sean Lemass (1965)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc444 View Post

If i am willing to stand and say Alot of what Haughey etc did was wrong atleast FGers should say the same thing.
    In fairness Fine Gael kicked Michael Lowry out. Burke was given a senior ministery, and Bertie a standing ovation at the last Ard Fheis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who in Fine Gael (or any other party) would hold a candle to CJ in terms of corruption?

Berti will probably be the nearest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well in all fairness Burke did lie to everybody and say there was nothing wrong.

This rationale by FGers who say well sure the others were worse so what we did doesnt count. If sombody robs a bank and steals £20,000 and the next day i rob a bank and steal£10,000, that doesnt make my crime any less, i still did something wrong.

I will not take criticism about my party when FGers wont even acknowledge corruption which has gone on in their own party.
    'A defeatist attitude now would surely lead to defeat, it primarly a question of whether we have confidence in ourselves and the dilligence and determination of our people,We can't opt out of the future.' Sean Lemass (1965)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will not take criticism about my party when FGers wont even acknowledge corruption which has gone on in their own party.
    Surely the honourable thing to do would be to hold yourself to a higher standard?
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    Surely the honourable thing to do would be to hold yourself to a higher standard?
    I have yet to read any FG poster criticise Garret's €1m write off (all they do is employ defence replies nos. 1 to 4 outlined above)

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast