Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungalow dilemma

Q.Harry

Default Bungalow dilemma

I was travelling around county Kildare and the Irish Midlands today- and it occured to me how ugly this nation has become with ugly pink and yellow bungalows lining nearly every former backroad and country lane. Every country village is now swamped with housing estates, shopping centres with a mile of car park spaces, and ribbon development miles out of town- with ugly, thoughtless bungalows and dormers.
    Throughout the countryside houses are been sprung up, the hedgerows ripped out- replaced with southfork ranch-style fencing, an enormous amount of cement for cars, and plastic, cheap looking features on the housing.

How did this beautiful, magical country go so wrong? Housing pre-1970s is so simple, yet beautiful in a down-to-earth type of way. There where wonderful little country villages that ended after less than a mile. These same former villages are infested with ugly housing estates and bungalows today. Why has this country been destroyed with such insenstive, greedy, catalogue-book, unIrish houses-is it just me, or does anybody take offence that this beautiful republic has been reduced to this. What can we do (if its not too late) too reverse this trend- and return Ireland to its former beauty. Thanks guys- love to hear from you all

Last edited by Q.Harry; 11th May 2009 at 12:19 AM.

Q.Harry

WHAT WE USED TO HAVE

Q.Harry

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends what you define as ugly - to me, the former are very handsome houses!

Q.Harry

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes aside from maybe the third one the others look fine to me

Q.Harry

Is it just me- or is a terrible tragedy, and one sense unpatriotic- considering that it is destroying out beautiful country.

http://media.daft.ie/Dunnes-Stores-S...ZsPTYwMA==.jpg

Q.Harry

but there on every single backroad and rural village. When I was younger, these we're still seperated by miles of countryside. This cannot be a good thing can it?

Q.Harry

any thoughts guys

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was so much nicer when we did not have people to ruin the countryside for urban tourists. All those empty famine cottages were lovely.
    The truely bad thing is appartments and housing estates in the middle of nowhere. If people have room why not build a nice big house on its own?
    Planners could sets styles to suit the area.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast