Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Orla Tinsley, communicator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Orla Tinsley, communicator.

What are we doing with our health care system? Read this and weep.

Sending management to quiz a sick girl is hardly the answer - The Irish Times - Fri, May 08, 2009
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well by the lack of response this thread has not seized the imagination of p.ie posters. That is maybe easy to understand on a variety of levels. Just in case the opening post was too skimpy, and that clicking on the link seemed uninviting, here is a snippet from the article. IMHO it deserves as wide a circulation as possible.

LAST FRIDAY, after one week in hospital, I was feeling pretty good about things. I had been moved the previous night into one of the two old cubicles on the respiratory ward that had been the main cystic fibrosis ward before St Christopher’s opened.

I didn’t have an en-suite room but I moved into one later that evening. In that first single room I was relieved, I knew there were no bugs lurking in the air. I could close my door for peace and quiet and I could sleep. My lung was getting better too.

Things that don’t help are situations like the one that happened seconds after I had finished my physiotherapy on Friday. A member of management walked into my room and asked if I had a few minutes to spare. She asked if I was okay to talk, if not she would come back later. So I suppose I should have told her I wasn’t, but I am very open to discussing the issues, and it was either now or later.

She then remarked that the physio had been so long in with me and she had been waiting outside to come in. Physio is exhausting, but she still thought it was okay to wait and approach me. She had a copy of my last article in The Irish Times (Fighting with every breath to cope with CF hospital ordeal, May 1st) with pieces of it highlighted. She was treating it as a complaint, she said.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just read the article. This young woman is inspirational. I saw her on the Late Late Show recently and was so impressed.

She must be stirring the ******************** when they send their messenger to a girl exhausted after physio.

HSE is getting celebrities like Gerald kean to tell them what is wrong with them - or rather help them with their communications - why not get Orla on this role when she is having a well period?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Inspirational is the word.

On your last point, I guess she has enough on her plate in trying to communicate with the HSE - but maybe if they sort the service for her and fellow patients maybe then she might think about communicating for the HSE...

How much do they pay their new National Director of Communications?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its such a shame that this is still treated as a "complaint" rather than actively engaging the community in their hospital!!

i.e. ..........is there no way we can all get together and manage the solution together...ARA no sure that kind of solidarity would have to start from the top!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it would have to start from the top, and the fact that it hasn't is the shared responsibility of Mary Harney and Brendan Drumm, who are instead busy pointing fingers at each other now that the media has realised that one of the consequences of the new consultant contract is that the public and voluntary hospitals will be cut off from a valuable source of income from patients who have insurance.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He3 - salary of National Director of Communications is I believe is c.€200,000 pa + 25% bonus + pension etc. Harney approved salary above normal HSE scales for him and new HR supremo Sean mcGrath- and I think another post.

remember her mantra - 'you pay peanuts and get monkeys'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairplay View Post
    He3 - salary of National Director of Communications is I believe is c.€200,000 pa + 25% bonus + pension etc. Harney approved salary above normal HSE scales for him and new HR supremo Sean mcGrath- and I think another post.

remember her mantra - 'you pay peanuts and get monkeys'
    Words cannot express...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Well by the lack of response this thread has not seized the imagination of p.ie posters.
    I read that article and was tempted to start a thread about it myself. However, the attitude of many contributors here is pretty well self centered and apologist for the rotten mess the government have created and fostered.

Threads on George Lee or Bertie Ahern go on ad nauseaum whilst this will be forgotten about in a short matter of time. Orla is a courageous and very atriculate young lady who bears her malady with exceptional dignity. Unfortunately her and her fellow sufferers plight does not affect other people's pockets and is therefore of minor interest. This is indicative of the mé féin attitude of the population.

When we lose this "what's in it for me?" mindset we might get rid of the gombeens and eradicate the national gombeenism that pollutes Irish life. Consider who votes for whom if one is financed by Social Welfare! Bought votes and then the workinbg class will pick up the tab.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a great article. I have read several of hers in the Times now. I think she is doing a great service to other CF suffers and to the country as a whole.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast